• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Sorry Horse And Head Dray

Rog H K

How did you come up with Horse and Groom?
Pete, your not thinking of the "Horse and Groom" that was behind the old "Debenhams" that was the Old "Bobby's" store, the pub then became the old "Dunkirk" and later became the old "The Theepenny" bit, later to be the old "Stikers bar"*-) later to the King Billy?.

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
The Horse and Dray is a few doors away from where the Near Post used to be, when it was by the alleyway leading up to the Fish and Chip shop on Old Tivvy Road.
I know, thats why I said 'opposite Belmont Park(ish). Just down from the Ropemakers, with The Mount Pleasant at the top of the hill, and then down over Pinhoe Road and under the railway bridge is the Queens Head.

PeteUSA

Pete, your not thinking of the "Horse and Groom" that was behind the old "Debenhams" that was the Old "Bobby's" store, the pub then became the old "Dunkirk" and later became the old "The Theepenny" bit, later to be the old "Stikers bar"*-) later to the King Billy?.
Rog, I'd forgotten about that wierd shaped pub behind Bobbys. Was that called the Horse & Groom as well when it was first built in 65? I know about all the later names and that it was a limp wristers hangout at one point. And what was the one called prior to it being the Horse & Dray? I've had a rethink and I'm wondering after all if it was The Papermakers.

Phil Sayers

The Horse and Dray was an utter sh*thole. Second only to The Locomotive for most unfriendly pub in Exeter. The owners were vermin and the customers were scum.

Rejoice at its closure rejoice!

Rog H K

Ahh "Horse and Dray" that was the Old "George and Dragon"in my day, it changed its name from the old "The Temeraire" Now the young uns are calling it the "Sorry horse head" ? I'll give it 6months before another name change.

PeteUSA

So at one time we had three horse & Grooms then! You sure that 'wierd' pub was anything other than the Three Penny Bit Rog, given that it was built in the shape of one? And where was the Papermakers if it wasnt in Blackboy Road?

Rog H K

Rog, I'd forgotten about that wierd shaped pub behind Bobbys. Was that called the Horse & Groom as well when it was first built in 65? I know about all the later names and that it was a limp wristers hangout at one point. And what was the one called prior to it being the Horse & Dray? I've had a rethink and I'm wondering after all if it was The Papermakers.
Papermakers was down Exe lane not far from the Mill on the Exe, now gone. We did have the Printers Pie in Sidwell St? Now the Orange Rooms, Crap name for a pub!

topsum bey

Contrary to what Phil said, I actually enjoyed my few visits to the Horse and Dray in its final few months.
Me and my friends from work went in here for a laugh one night and actually went back the following Fridays. It seemed to have character, though rough around the edges that these soulless wine bars so severely lack

Phil Sayers

Amber Rooms do you mean? Not only a crap name but a crap bar. Plays music so loudly you can't hear a word someone opposite you is saying.

Rog H K

Amber Rooms do you mean? Not only a crap name but a crap bar. Plays music so loudly you can't hear a word someone opposite you is saying.
Orange... Amber... Same colour! Yep;)