• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Tis, Dunne and Noble

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
I couldn't make it on Saturday (snowed in completely) and would be interested to hear views from those who went about Tis' comments on D Noble http://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10436~2247705,00.html It seems that this was not a tactical switch, but Dunne only came on because the genius that is Noble had picked up a knock

I've always been a massive fan of Dunne and yet to be convinced by Noble, despite his obvious quality. And on Saturday it seems the substitution of Dunne for Noble transformed the game.

Tis' praise for Noble sounds uncannily like his bigging up of Marcus Stewart last year - I know the man is a total football genius but I'm still mystified.

Can anyone explain - is Tis right and a sizeable minority (majority?) of us wrong? Or is strangely in awe of these "senior players" but it doesn't really matter that much? Or is this some fiendish piece of kidology?

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Noble's not a genius, I didn't see him on saturday but from I've seen so far he's been crap: read my blog for more: http://thetivertongrecian.blogspot.com/2010/12/david-noble.html

malcolms

I couldn't make it on Saturday (snowed in completely) and would be interested to hear views from those who went about Tis' comments on D Noble http://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10436~2247705,00.html It seems that this was not a tactical switch, but Dunne only came on because the genius that is Noble had picked up a knock

I've always been a massive fan of Dunne and yet to be convinced by Noble, despite his obvious quality. And on Saturday it seems the substitution of Dunne for Noble transformed the game.

Tis' praise for Noble sounds uncannily like his bigging up of Marcus Stewart last year - I know the man is a total football genius but I'm still mystified.

Can anyone explain - is Tis right and a sizeable minority (majority?) of us wrong? Or is strangely in awe of these "senior players" but it doesn't really matter that much? Or is this some fiendish piece of kidology?
PT took a punt on Noble, which to date would seem not to be a good move. Inevitably, as with Marcus Stewart, he feels the need to justify that decision, a fairly normal reaction I would have thought.

grecianite

If you were at Rovers, or moreover Oldham, you'll know what a potentially great player we have in Noble.

Yes, so far he has been inconsistant and he has not played a great game from starting. Once he has 100% match fitness he will be an asset a BIG asset. FFS he was out for the best part of two years!

Grecian_Jay

See the 'Paul Tisdale' thread for my thoughts on this. He got lucky after making a big error, could have been costly but luckily Sheff Wed were sh*te and didn't take advantage and then we simply played outstanding in 2nd half (notice when Dunne came on).

malcolms

If you were at Rovers, or moreover Oldham, you'll know what a potentially great player we have in Noble.

Yes, so far he has been inconsistant and he has not played a great game from starting. Once he has 100% match fitness he will be an asset a BIG asset. FFS he was out for the best part of two years!
You may be right but I suspect that he has now reached a level that represents what you are likely to get out of him going forward. PT may believe differently but I suspect this is perhaps more in hope than expectation.

wemissmoxey

Noble still looks out of condition imho.

Hopefully he will go easy on the yorkshire puds and wine this xmas.

malcolms

Noble still looks out of condition imho.

Hopefully he will go easy on the yorkshire puds and wine this xmas.
You have to presume that he has been training daily since August, if he's not fit now then something's not quite right.

Mogga

Exactly. Nobody wants to be all "You haven't been to this game so you can't judge", but those of us rewarded for going to Oldham were treated to an absolute masterclass by Noble - without question man of the match thanks to his 40 minutes work. Furthermore this was a game in which Dunne had looked pretty lost at times.

Dunne is a good player with great potential and brings us something to the side we only get through Bertie, but does so with perhaps a bit more quality. But he is young, naive and can be a headless chicken; his overpopularity on these boards baffles me in comparison to Noble who has no doubt been rusty at times but shows obvious quality. I don't even think Noble has been bad so far and looks to be getting better. He'll be a terrific asset for us.

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
Noble shows some amazing skill at times.
In fact I'm going to bookmark this thread for future so I can top it and laugh at how wrong you all were regarding him.