• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Like many others on here...............

Poultice

Very well known Exeweb poster
.......I think we are in better shape at the start of this season than we were at the start of last.

The question is, who else is ?

I watched the "betes noire" of our league, Macky Ds, Tuesday night and they look as though they intend to play football this year, much to the astonishment of the regulars I went with, in fact they outplayed the mighty Blues for most of the game only succombing when they decided to match up Danny Woodards at centre half against Cameron Jerome, bad move.

There are a number of sides we should expect to be a bit beyond us, Soton, Sheff Wed and maybe a few more, the sides that bother me are those which I had hoped we could give a good run for their money, Macky Ds was one of them, Brentford and Brighton were in that category but I now feel they may have strengthened out of it.

I think we should be good enough to at least challenge for that sixth spot, trouble is I don't see any obvious basket cases so most fixtures should be competitive, I just can't make up my mind whether that is good or bad for us.

Clearly I have no clue.

Simples.

grecianfish

Wow Poults this is actually pretty positive from you! I really agree with you that we are much stronger than we were this time last year and this is due to a year to get used to the league and some (hopefully) very astute signings by Tis. Nardiello in particular i'm very excited about based on his pre season form. although i must say i would rather we didn't sign cureton. i don't see what he would add at his age and think it is a bit disrespectful to the other strikers as i believe we already have ample firepower (again hopefully).

anyway i agree that brighton, brentford and MDs have strengthened but i still feel we could challenge them. they would be games i would go into hopeful of a result. as for basket cases i think there are a couple. rochdale and dag & red will struggle this season. D&R will be found out because of a leaky defence and that combined with going up against better defences i think they will have issues. rochdale will go straight back down - they tailed off badly at the end of last season and from what i've seen have not made any signings that make you think 'yeah! they're gonna push on...'

that's my view anyway and like you am hopeful of pushing on to something around 6th spot.

ecfc2000

Clearly I have no clue.
I can't argue with that ;)

happygrecian

This is a remarkably positive thread from you to start the season with, Poult's!

I absolutely agree that we are in much better shape than the start of last season. Much of the deadwood has been cleared, others have very much settled in or improved, and we have some relatively promising new signings.

As you suggest, though, many other teams have probably also strengthened over the summer.

Can't realistically see us fighting for the play-offs, but would be very happy if we were. I'll be more than pleased if we are just comfortably clear of relegation this season, although it's such a tight league that being comfortably clear of relegation also means that we are pushing for the play-offs.

Hopefully this season will be more enjoyable than last, with some of the desperate performances and battles we had to endure.

ElTorro

Maybe too much optimism. The bookies usually get it right and they have us, Yeovil, Rochdale, Dagenham, Bournemouth and Tranmere in a relegation battle.

Can see us battling it out with Bournemouth and Tranmere to avoid the drop.

I reckon Rochdale and Dagenham are doomed, Yeovil will struggle.
The relegation wild cards could be the Scummers or Sheffield Wednesday if they get off to a poor start (negativity spreads like wildfire).

So on a more positive note the bookies may not have factored in a fit Noble and rejuvenated Nardiello so hopefully we can push for mid table :).

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
The top 6 or 7 teams are relatively easy to identify.

Ditto the half dozen weakest.

Picking the order of the middling ones (including us, I hope) is very difficult this year.

I do hope that MK struggle, though - to the tune of "la donna e mobile" aka "we own our football club":

"AFC Wimbledon!"

Jersey Tone

Can anyone recommend a site that has all the transfer ins and outs during the close season?

Lower to mid table for City this season but......you always get a team springing a surprise. And I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it was us. City had a good home record last season (unbeaten at home against the top 6 sides??) and finished well. Too many draws/lack of goals but it looks like we've got a stronger strike force this year. We could be the surprise package!!

Failing that, I'll settle for 6 points off our Cornish chums!!

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
I..... I.... don't.... what is this I don't even...

So what the hell am I supposed to do now?
Congratulations where congratulations are due I guess. Well done ******** ona fantastically positive thread.

malcolms

I..... I.... don't.... what is this I don't even...

So what the hell am I supposed to do now?
Congratulations where congratulations are due I guess. Well done ******** ona fantastically positive thread.

It's called objectivity which clearly is a bridge too far for some...

Last edited:

Grecian Max

It's called objectivity which clearly is a bridge too far for some...
Malcolm says 'oh look at me'