• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Your favourite City sendings off

ECFC '72

Laughing at the people showing their true colours
Sean McCarthy's at The Gaws must have been the best sending off ever, a hilarious end to an otherwise highly forgettable match.

0:3 down the bristling figure of an overweight McCarthorse is brought on with ten minutes to go. Runs across the pitch displaying an obvious "point to prove" attitude.

Elbows Coughlan in the face in his first challenge.

Marches back to the dressing room!
I was sat, as punishment from a previous life, in with a green slime supporting mate that night, completely surrounded by other odd greenies. Traumatic doesn't begin to cover it.

I'm still in therapy now.

hayboy4

Surely only ONE contender for this accolade?
Details are a bit sketchy now, it was Elm Park, Autumn 92 I think. Anyway, please step up, Peter Whiston, who was sent off for fighting Jimmy Quinn (who also walked if I remember rightly).
Down to 10 men, City go on to record a 3-2 win with Sir Scott getting a hat-trick.
One of my all-time favourite City games this one...

Oli

Very well known Exeweb poster
I wasn't at the game but was watching the scores on Sky sports. I think between the 89th and the 90+X minute City had 3 sent off.

Saw the highlights and it all kicked off by the away end/OG corner flag.

Possibly Copps and Cronin and I suspect the relegation season.

CC

Surely only ONE contender for this accolade?
Details are a bit sketchy now, it was Elm Park, Autumn 92 I think. Anyway, please step up, Peter Whiston, who was sent off for fighting Jimmy Quinn (who also walked if I remember rightly).
Down to 10 men, City go on to record a 3-2 win with Sir Scott getting a hat-trick.
One of my all-time favourite City games this one...
I was at this game and I don't remember any red cards. I think it was the following season when we had 2 sent off - Dryden and ? (Whiston?). We lost 3-0 I think and Tom Kelly chopped one of their guys down near the end and should have walked as well but got away with a yellow. Not a good day.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
I wasn't at the game but was watching the scores on Sky sports. I think between the 89th and the 90+X minute City had 3 sent off.

Saw the highlights and it all kicked off by the away end/OG corner flag.

Possibly Copps and Cronin and I suspect the relegation season.
It was against Cambridge in the relegation season. One of the first matches I stewarded and the first time I got punched at a match. Good times.

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Another one for Ben Rowe at Fulham. He was on the bench, got angry at a decision against us and got red carded for his protest. Classic.

As an aside to this I met him a couple of years ago at a game between his lad and mine, the convo went something like this:

Me: Are you Ben Rowe?
BR: Yep
Me: I remember seeing you play for City
BR: Cheers
Me: Especially when you got sent off at Fulham
BR: Oh don't
BR junior: Dad, you never told me you got sent off!
BR: Now look what you've done, he'll be on about this all day now
Me: Nice to have met you *legs it*

davidjenkin

Well-known Exeweb poster
Backing our manager like I always have. Geddon Tis
Graham Power at Hull was the most inexcusable from the referee. Power had so blatantly won the ball in a superb last-ditch challenge, and at 0-2, the ref gave the foul to them and sent him packing.

And then Partridge, and a Flacky overhead in the last minute nicked us a 2-2 draw and we had to run for our lives from the Hull City scum who didn't like the way we took a point.

I still remember those bridges leading to the KC over the ditches way below, in pitch black with no security and several hundred ****** off Hull scum. I'd willingly back any government initiative to flatten Hull and its inhabitants, write it off as a bad job, strerilise the place and then start off over with a breeding program of much nicer people.

eurogrecian

Another one for Ben Rowe at Fulham. He was on the bench, got angry at a decision against us and got red carded for his protest. Classic.
If I remember well, Terry Cooper said afterwards "If he could play as well as he talks, he'd be in the England squad!"

Darren Moxey

Resigned
It was against Cambridge in the relegation season. One of the first matches I stewarded and the first time I got punched at a match. Good times.
I'm pretty sure that was Oxford in the relegation season? Finished 2-2?

James coppinger lost possession by the corner of the bank and doble, turned around and launched himself at the back of their players legs. he didn't really wait for the refs decision1