• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Your favourite City sendings off

Athelstan

Even as Richard Duffy marched off down the tunnel yesterday, I couldn't help finding the black humour in the complete randomness of his 'tackle' on the Walsall player, deep inside their own half and on the touchline from a harmless throw-in with about 47 players still to beat between him and the City goal.

On the train journey home the ghosts of Exeter City players, past and present, trudging off the pitch following moments of madness, drifted in and out of my consciousness: from Andy Woodman's infamous brace against Scarborough and Colchester (obviously), David Lee's earliest of early baths up at York, to Gilly's 'just-because-you're-losing' tantrums against the likes of Morecambe and Curzon Ashton.

So what are your favourite ever sendings off of City players? The more inexcusable, ill-judged and self-defeating the better!

[idea]
[ecfc]

Macca

Andy cyrus against Torquay, think it was near the corner flag can't remember why from it all kicking off!

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Danny S against the Turkeys that Boxing Day was the most inexcusable IMO (from a refereeing viewpoint that is).

Thankfully, we still went on to win (and march on to Wembley) but he was still a very sill(s)y boy!!! ;)

STURTZ

Sean McCarthy's at The Gaws must have been the best sending off ever, a hilarious end to an otherwise highly forgettable match.

0:3 down the bristling figure of an overweight McCarthorse is brought on with ten minutes to go. Runs across the pitch displaying an obvious "point to prove" attitude.

Elbows Coughlan in the face in his first challenge.

Marches back to the dressing room!

edindevon

Lee Phillips and a Grays player for some half time fisticuffs at SJP - I never realised the second half was 10 vs 10 until I got home and read it on exeweb.

ecfcpipe

agreed with Sturtz!

Last edited:

older-codger

Ben Rowe at Fulham (?) - and he wasn't even on the pitch

manc grecian

Gilly at Curzon Ashton. Summed up the day.

A Slacker

Steve Williams at Colchester in the Cup - early 90's??

As assistant manager he should have known better but never seemed to be able to cope with the concept of anger management. Let us down badly.

I can't remember who we played or whether or not anyone got sent off. Hopefully someone can help me out...Glen Cronin went mental at a player or maybe the linesman by the away fans cornerflag, Old grandstand side? I seem to remember Justin Walker got involved too?