• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Wycombe Wanderers vs Exeter City match day thread

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
The lowest amount of points to get into the play offs in the last 5 years has been 68 - in the other league 2 tables it's generally around 71-72 points to finish 7th.

Looking at the current table I reckon it could be as much as 75 this season - Accrington for example are on 48 points with as many as 5 games in hand on some sides and 2 in hand on us - if they win those there 11 points ahead of us playing the same amount of games

IMO were relying on bad results from others more than good results from us now

Will we nearly double our points total before the end of the season ? No

Last edited:

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Put your handbag away love.

We tend to play better against the the more expansive attacking sides, I'm not a happy clapper and currently think we'll miss out, that said there's 17 games to go, 8 points is not an impossible figure to make up in the time. You can hope for a little bit longer at least :)

No handbag from me - just the truth

Grecian Max

No handbag from me - just the truth
Cool story bro l-)

Last edited:

Grecian Max

The lowest amount of points to get into the play offs in the last 5 years has been 68 - in the other league 2 tables it's generally around 71-72 points to finish 7th.

Looking at the current table I reckon it could be as much as 75 this season - Accrington for example are on 48 points with as many as 5 games in hand on some sides and 2 in hand on us - if they win those there 11 points ahead of us playing the same amount of games

IMO were relying on bad results from others more than good results from us now

Will we nearly double our points total before the end of the season ? No
All of that is conjecture. I don't personally think currently we'll make the play offs, but as it is with 17 games to go - and having seen good runs from City before it's not beyond the realms of possibility. Hence I won't give up as yet. This conversation is going nowhere anyway, I'll leave you to it.

To coin your favourite generic pundit phrase "time will tell"

Last edited:

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
YouTube highlights

[video=youtube;ufVOd9XR2is]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufVOd9XR2is[/video]

Ahh yes fair point. Although it is all WWFC branded (and always was?)

The large stand was built in 1996 before the WASPS came in 2002. It extended ground capacity from 6000 to nearly 10000, which was needed when we averaged over 6000 in early 2000s. Still useful for games such as Villa and heavily supported league 2 sides where we sometimes get 7000 + .

It was built where it is in 1990 when the old Loakes Park in town centre was sold for redevelopment and the industrial estate was the only site could get planning permission for.

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
disappointing performance from city yesterday. we looked pretty clueless about how to break down wycombe. we generally just hoofed long balls into the channel and showed very little technical play. for huge chunks of the game we were happy to just knock it out for throw-ins repeatedly which seemed to achieve nothing apart from waste time.

wycombe clearly have a strategy to disrupt play for good sections of the game but when they actually got the ball down on the deck they played some really good passing football. they were noticeably quicker than us all across the park and to be fair deserved the 3 points.

we consistently overhit corners and crosses - just a waste. we rushed to take free kicks when it wasnt necessary and didnt take them quickly when they should have been. special mention goes to danny butterfield who played terribly, absolutely rubbish.

Avening Posse

Underwhelmed yesterday. I thought Wycombe were much more comfortable on the ball for most of the game. We had chances that weren't taken, but so did they. We appeared unable to string combinations of passes together so ended up playing quite a few long balls which Wycombe dealt with comfortably. We could have won, but not sure it would have been deserved. Oh well, lets see what happens at York. If I wanted a positive, defensively we looked good, and their goal was a brilliant fluke, but going forward was a different story. Finally, on gamesmanship, there was a bit, but nothing like previous trips in my view, and certainly not enough to influence the result

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
We need 11 wins/33 points from our last 17 games to get into the play-offs.

If I were Tis I'd be setting that challenge to the players. Play for your futures.

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Underwhelmed yesterday. I thought Wycombe were much more comfortable on the ball for most of the game. We had chances that weren't taken, but so did they. We appeared unable to string combinations of passes together so ended up playing quite a few long balls which Wycombe dealt with comfortably. We could have won, but not sure it would have been deserved. Oh well, lets see what happens at York. If I wanted a positive, defensively we looked good, and their goal was a brilliant fluke, but going forward was a different story. Finally, on gamesmanship, there was a bit, but nothing like previous trips in my view, and certainly not enough to influence the result
brilliant fluke? Looked good from the t.v. Did you see something different from the angle behind the goal?