• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

WTF does Matt Jay have to do to get in the side???

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
What does MJ have to do to get in the side?
Move to another club perhaps?? :(

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just looking back at the figures; so far this season City have scored 71 goals in all competitions (excluding the U23's). I know that we have had an extended run in the Leasing Cup. The goals scored in the previous seasons are:

18/19 - 67
17/18 - 78
16/17 - 91
15/16 - 77
14/15 - 62
13/14 - 54
12/13 - 64
11/12 - 54
10/11 - 80
9/10 - 56
8/9 - 69

So with 10 games to go (minimum) City's goals hold up well compared with most of the previous seasons.
Yeah. We're a good team this season. Good attacking players as well. Is there another club where fans would quibble about Law starting? Just a bit lacking up top. Not that the strikers are all useless, but the strike force is functional at its best and lacks depth.

Rosencrantz

2007/08 season....Moxey bagged 11 goals....
2006/07...top scorer was Billy Jones with 10...we made play off final.

2008/09...top scorer was Stanno with 10...we got promoted.

20012/13...top scorer was Curo with 21...we came 10th.

The season is not always defined by our top scorers return.

GrecianExile

I think the striker position is the hardest area of the team to recruit because everybody wants top quality strikers and we all know top quality strikers cost a lot of money, I’m not sure we have the resources for top quality compared to teams with bigger budgets. Therefore most strikers we maybe in the market for will in many ways be a gamble you just hope pays off but knowing full well if they do well they will likely be off either in January or the end of the season. There is a saying you get what you pay for, Doyle at Swindon is rumoured to be on 5K a week, I can’t imagine us getting anywhere near that kind of figure for one player.

Bowman gets his criticism but take out Eoin Doyle and after that Bowman is only behind by one goal to the likes of Yates, Palmer and two behind Maynard so for someone who isn’t deemed as prolific I wouldn’t say that is terrible as such. It was probably hoped Ajose would be up there in the goal scoring stakes and for whatever reason that hasn’t panned out, then Fisher would have been back up to Bowman.

Id like to see Matt Jay given two or three games as he does appear to have an eye for a goal, I guess my only question would be can he do it on the poor pitches we currently see (and I don’t just mean SJP)

Kellow & Beer

The fact is, he is not good enough for this level on a consistent basis. It is no coincidence that neither Tisdale or Taylor have ever selected him to start 5 consecutive games. He comes on as a sub, makes an impact, then starts the next couple of games, is subsequently ineffective and left out again. Nicky Law is a class above Jay.

Jay would probably make a successful career if he dropped down a level because he always scores goals in pre-season friendlies against lower league teams.

The managers and coaching staff have seen him day in, day out for 8 seasons now and still don't rate him highly enough.

With regards to Bowman and Martin, nobody can ever say they don't work their socks off for the team.... The fact is they are not natural goalscorers, but when we had one (Stockley) we had to let him go.....

IndoMike

I think the striker position is the hardest area of the team to recruit because everybody wants top quality strikers and we all know top quality strikers cost a lot of money, I’m not sure we have the resources for top quality compared to teams with bigger budgets. Therefore most strikers we maybe in the market for will in many ways be a gamble you just hope pays off but knowing full well if they do well they will likely be off either in January or the end of the season. There is a saying yo justu get what you pay for, Doyle at Swindon is rumoured to be on 5K a week, I can’t imagine us getting anywhere near that kind of figure for one player.

Bowman gets his criticism but take out Eoin Doyle and after that Bowman is only behind by one goal to the likes of Yates, Palmer and two behind Maynard so for someone who isn’t deemed as prolific I wouldn’t say that is terrible as such. It was probably hoped Ajose would be up there in the goal scoring stakes and for whatever reason that hasn’t panned out, then Fisher would have been back up to Bowman. Bowman also could probably do with a break sometimes.

Id like to see Matt Jay given two or three games as he does appear to have an eye for a goal, I guess my only question would be can he do it on the poor pitches we currently see (and I don’t just mean SJP)
RB has by far the worst goals per minute record and does not have one single assist to his name despite playing in/near every match.
As I've said before, Matt has relied on him far too much and should have tried other options in addition to the Bowman option.
Sometimes a manager can accidentally hit upon a winning combination, but if you don't experiment a little you will never know. I.believe we have become a little bit too predictable in attack.

StudentGrecian

agreed. Good signings by MT in defence (Martin A, Parkes) and midfield (Law, Atangana) . Good in bringing youth products through to be first team regulars (Collins, Sparkes). Decent keepers.

but his record with strikers is-

- four transfer windows, four permanent strikers. Forte Bowman Fisher Ajose. Average age 29. Average out injured 50% of the time under contract

- loan. Three, Abrahams, Ogbene and Donovan Wilson. None of whom could claim a first team spot.

thats not so much a criticism as a reflection of how tough it is signing goalscorers. We were a bit spoilt with the likes of Stockley and Wheeler.
If were claiming Ogbene was a striker then you'd have to claim Williams was one also!

As has already been said, quality strikers are hard to sign. If they score more than 20 in League Two you can guarantee a League One club will be coming in to poach them next season, or in January as with Stockley. I remember Forte and Ajose being well received on here, sometimes it just doesn't work out with injuries.

Ash

The fact is, he is not good enough for this level on a consistent basis. It is no coincidence that neither Tisdale or Taylor have ever selected him to start 5 consecutive games. He comes on as a sub, makes an impact, then starts the next couple of games, is subsequently ineffective and left out again. Nicky Law is a class above Jay.

Jay would probably make a successful career if he dropped down a level because he always scores goals in pre-season friendlies against lower league teams.

The managers and coaching staff have seen him day in, day out for 8 seasons now and still don't rate him highly enough.

With regards to Bowman and Martin, nobody can ever say they don't work their socks off for the team.... The fact is they are not natural goalscorers, but when we had one (Stockley) we had to let him go.....
I might have agreed with that all the way up to last season, but this one has seen a marked improvement in performances and returns in the form of goals and assists. I agree that Law is the better player much of the time, but I feel there's room for both players in our starting line up, perhaps by using the 4231 formation suggested earlier, or by playing him up front with RB. Let's be honest, could MJ really offer less than we've seen from Ajose recently? I don't think he would.

geoffwp

Reading this makes me wonder just how many times you've watched Matty play this season! The manager and coaches don't rate him?? Now remind me, who was it said that Matt Jay is one of The most skilful players at the club?

IndoMike

I've said it before and I'll say it again : the team needs more energy. I'm surprised that after very good performances in the Leasing.com that one or two of the youngsters have not been used more
:Randall and Key, for example. And is Seymour really any worse than what we have in attack now?
The kids have skill, bags of enthusiasm, ambition, confidence, no fear and are City through and through. They can also skip over our dodgy pitch.
Freshen it up, Matt ! Think out of the box a bit more! We need new momentum !