• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

WTF does Matt Jay have to do to get in the side???

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
Unfortunately , the attack is the one area MT has got it wrong this season , it may well cost us dear yet , I hope not. We all know about Bowman’s limitations , he’ll never be a Kellow or Stockley , but Ajose , that was an unfortunate signing . Coming to us injured for more than half the season , I just can’t see him settling in now and being our saviour especially paired with Bowman.
So what can Matt do , very few ways to turn now in the short time left.

IndoMike

It's more a team selection thing. Same old same tactics. We're too predictable. And we can't expect Williams to turn it on every game.

The players we have who can make a difference are Williams, Jay, and I suggest Randall. Jay is in and out and Randall never plays. Richardson has done well on the right but is not given much game time.

All roads lead to RB, but he just isn't a "natural" goalscorer, and never has been.
There are no stats about holding the ball up or bringing others into play, so it's difficult to assess the effectiveness of that.
There are stats for goals and assists, however

I'm sure there are matches that would suit RB, but not every single match. The opposition knows how we're gonna play : put 2 men on Williams and Bob's your uncle.

jimmy

Apologies that this has gone off the topic of Jay..

I just want to raise the point that if Bowman was converting all/most of his chances..he would have scored 25 goals or more and would be onto pastures new...just like Mr. Stockley one year ago.

I may get lynched for saying this but Sir Steve Flack never got more than goals than Bowman's current rate..but was always praised for his physicality and giving defenders 'something to think about'.

Ajose has it in him and we've taken a punt on him fitness wise..we have to hope it pays off.

It looks like those are our front two so I hope we can get behind them...

IndoMike

I just want to raise the point that if Bowman was converting all/most of his chances..he would have scored 25 goals or more and would be onto pastures new...just like Mr. Stockley one year ago.

I may get lynched for saying this but Sir Steve Flack never got more than goals than Bowman's current rate..but was always praised for his physicality and giving defenders 'something to think about'.

Ajose has it in him and we've taken a punt on him fitness wise..we have to hope it pays off.

It"a directly related to Jay. He's in and out of the team because others are in the team ahead of him.

Copernicus

That's a good point (y)

I would like to see a 4-3-2-1 with Bowlegs supported by (my turn to get lynched) Jay and Williams.

I think Jay is one of our better attacking options, always finds space and gets on the end of crosses (an earlier post mentioned he is the leading goals per minute player!) with Williams beside him

Williams, is great out on the wing until his final ball which usually hits the defender, I would try him in the middle as a support striker where I am sure he will have more impact, he is quick, skillful, can burst through the defence onto through balls, and knows where the net is.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster

The revisionist version is Flack was a folk hero. Living through the Flack years, he was more a symbol of our mediocrity and got a fair amount of, err... flack from the terraces.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Problem is, Taylor has recruited brilliantly in all areas of the pitch apart from up top. I rate Bowman at this level, but theres no one snapping at his heels for his place. Maybe Ajose comes good, but haven't seen it... Martin has something to offer, but not enough. Fisher is all but useless... Seymour, people are hopeful about, but I see that as more about desperation than what they've seen on the pitch... (ie there MUST be a better internal solution). We've one striker who other league 2 clubs would want if they were released. Not that he's brilliant, but he's the best option we've got. That's why he keeps his place when out of form.

Not having a go at Taylor... Overall his recruitment has been excellent and the team is above expectations over the season... But we've got what you might call an 'ailing strikeforce'. Have to make the best of it though.

crocks

Just looking back at the figures; so far this season City have scored 71 goals in all competitions (excluding the U23's). I know that we have had an extended run in the Leasing Cup. The goals scored in the previous seasons are:

18/19 - 67
17/18 - 78
16/17 - 91
15/16 - 77
14/15 - 62
13/14 - 54
12/13 - 64
11/12 - 54
10/11 - 80
9/10 - 56
8/9 - 69

So with 10 games to go (minimum) City's goals hold up well compared with most of the previous seasons.

andrew p long

Problem is, Taylor has recruited brilliantly in all areas of the pitch apart from up top. I rate Bowman at this level, but theres no one snapping at his heels for his place. Maybe Ajose comes good, but haven't seen it... Martin has something to offer, but not enough. Fisher is all but useless... Seymour, people are hopeful about, but I see that as more about desperation than what they've seen on the pitch... (ie there MUST be a better internal solution). We've one striker who other league 2 clubs would want if they were released. Not that he's brilliant, but he's the best option we've got. That's why he keeps his place when out of form.

Not having a go at Taylor... Overall his recruitment has been excellent and the team is above expectations over the season... But we've got what you might call an 'ailing strikeforce'. Have to make the best of it though.
agreed. Good signings by MT in defence (Martin A, Parkes) and midfield (Law, Atangana) . Good in bringing youth products through to be first team regulars (Collins, Sparkes). Decent keepers.

but his record with strikers is-

- four transfer windows, four permanent strikers. Forte Bowman Fisher Ajose. Average age 29. Average out injured 50% of the time under contract

- loan. Three, Abrahams, Ogbene and Donovan Wilson. None of whom could claim a first team spot.

thats not so much a criticism as a reflection of how tough it is signing goalscorers. We were a bit spoilt with the likes of Stockley and Wheeler.

crocks

2007/08 season....Moxey bagged 11 goals....