• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Will finishing outside the playoffs be a bad season?

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
After the start we had and the signings in January not making the playoffs would be a bad season - but would prefer automatics as could not go through another play-off game or Wembley - however, I fear the automatics are disappearing with every game

Well-known Exeweb poster
given the players we've got and that funds, previously unavailable, have been made availiable then anything short of the play offs will be hugely disappointing..tbh though i hate to veer into cras short term modern footballing means .. its unacceptable.

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Shirley if we did get promoted The Cheese would draft in some new players. Which of the present squad are good enough for a decent L1 finish, assuming they give of their best and are properly managed ?
Pym, Jones, Sweeney, JMT, Brown, possibly Kroll, Woodman or Moxey, Harley, Boateng, Taylor, Stockley, perhaps a few youngsters (Storey, Sparkes) errr yes we'd need a few proven players but last time we managed it with an influx of quality (Dunne, Duffy, Golbourne, Cureton, Henville etc).

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
If we went up (which sadly I don't think will happen) IMO we would need a massive overhaul in terms of players....

IMO only Stockley , JMT , Brown , Boateng , Holmes , Sweeney & Pym would be good enough at the level above...

The two lads from WBA have the ability but are not ours and Paul jones naturally would if he signs (from what I've been told) pretty much agreed already.

denzel

Pym, Jones, Sweeney, JMT, Brown, possibly Kroll, Woodman or Moxey, Harley, Boateng, Taylor, Stockley, perhaps a few youngsters (Storey, Sparkes) errr yes we'd need a few proven players but last time we managed it with an influx of quality (Dunne, Duffy, Golbourne, Cureton, Henville etc).
Good synopsis. Conversely I can see a few of those moving on if we don't go up - JMT, Brown, Boateng, Pym

CREDYGRECIAN

If we went up (which sadly I don't think will happen) IMO we would need a massive overhaul in terms of players....

IMO only Stockley , JMT , Brown , Boateng , Holmes , Sweeney & Pym would be good enough at the level above...

The two lads from WBA have the ability but are not ours and Paul jones naturally would if he signs (from what I've been told) pretty much agreed already.
Add in Jake Taylor

scottus86

Good synopsis. Conversely I can see a few of those moving on if we don't go up - JMT, Brown, Boateng, Pym
Didn't Boateng sign a 3 year deal?

CREDYGRECIAN

Irrelevant in reality - if the money was right for both parties

STURTZ

It's possible to overestimate the difference in quality between leagues 1 and 2, there are a few really good teams up there but on the whole a well managed team can progress even with a team which might not run away with league 2. Hate to say it but the Greenies seemed to have a very average squad, journeymen that largely found themselves on the sidelines or, even worse, in Scotland! Carey apart they have very little to offer as individuals but Adams seems to have found their strengths and is playing to them. Sawyer still chugging along at left back and yet there on the brink of the play offs!

We go up, players raise their games, no wholesale clear outs just general strengthening and a few choice signings required, is our bloke up to it?

denzel

Yes but I don't think he signed the deal to sit on the bench!