• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Will Aimson joins on a permanent contract

Memphis09

Of those thus far - no he hasn't got the best out of Rankine, Harper and Aitchison

Only the last two games has JA really starting to live up to his billing

Rankine has been repressed in his attacking instincts a lot IMO

Harper hasn't played much in his proper position and like Rankine gets asked to turn round and pass it rather than get the ball in early

All that being said:

Cox has improved very recently, in part thanks to Cooper, in part to GC

Cole and Diabate I agree he has impoved also
I think jA has played well since Christmas needed someone ahead of him so has improved with cox there
Rankine returning to fitness and have been impressed the last couple of games
Harper is only in his first proper league one season think there is a good player if he can stay injury free
Thought he was superb against Barnsley
That’s just my thoughts and opinion

JamieEcfc

Seems we’ve rejected bids for him.. personally would be happy to free up the wage on him

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
I've got a lot of time for Will Aimson and, if we've rejected bids for him, I'm pleased. He's a solid defender who has an eye for a pass. Yes, he's had a dip in form at some points of the season but so has everyone, and he shouldn't have been made captain, but he's delivered the goods enough for me to back him. Geddon Will, stick with us and help us get to the play offs :)

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
I mean he's clearly way too good for league one. I'm just not convinced on it either way... I certainly wouldn't list him as a self-evident GC triumph.
I think this is a fair take. GC failed to get Stanno scoring regularly in League One last year as part of very strong front three, yet he's been scoring goals for fun at struggling Birmingham City in the Championship. That said, he did contribute a lot with his performances so some credit must go to Caldwell for that.

But I do think there's a growing body of evidence that getting a team to score lots of goals ain't GC's greatest strength.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think this is a fair take. GC failed to get Stanno scoring regularly in League One last year as part of very strong front three, yet he's been scoring goals for fun at struggling Birmingham City in the Championship. That said, he did contribute a lot with his performances so some credit must go to Caldwell for that.

But I do think there's a growing body of evidence that getting a team to score lots of goals ain't GC's greatest strength.
Let's see how he does with more attacking options. We're still light on physicality in the middle and up top IMO, but clearly that's a choice to some extent... We'll see, eh

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Think GC always expected more goals from his advanced midfield players. Now we've got a proper center forward this has actually started happening anyway!

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Think GC always expected more goals from his advanced midfield players. Now we've got a proper center forward this has actually started happening anyway!
*centre*

Bleddy foreigner.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Seems we’ve rejected bids for him.. personally would be happy to free up the wage on him
And leave our defence low on numbers and lacking quality and competition?

Aimson is a very competent defender at L1 level, good pace, strong in the air and has more experience than Hartridge and Diabate combined. He's also our best distributor of the ball from the back. He's not played for a few games because defensively we've been very solid recently without him but I'm confident GC see's him as our main centre half.

The captaincy thing I don't really give a shit about as I'm a believer that natural leaders will lead regardless of whether they're wearing an armband or not. I think the captaincy is over rated in football anyway.

If you want to release a wage, I'd suggest Aimson is not your man.

JamieEcfc

And leave our defence low on numbers and lacking quality and competition?

Aimson is a very competent defender at L1 level, good pace, strong in the air and has more experience than Hartridge and Diabate combined. He's also our best distributor of the ball from the back. He's not played for a few games because defensively we've been very solid recently without him but I'm confident GC see's him as our main centre half.

The captaincy thing I don't really give a shit about as I'm a believer that natural leaders will lead regardless of whether they're wearing an armband or not. I think the captaincy is over rated in football anyway.

If you want to release a wage, I'd suggest Aimson is not your man.
Not sure what the bids made were for Aimson, I’d be interested to know a ballpark figure of what we are supposed to have rejected, assuming it’s half decent then yes absolutely I would have let him go to free up a wage as I’m assuming he’ll be one of the higher earners.

Our defence has looked more solid, albeit more through Diabates resurgence to defence rather than Aimsons absence, however recent results without him suggest we could let him go and cope just fine.

With the signing of Purrington who I hope isn’t out for long, Fitzwater back in the squad, Fitzwater and Hartridge are currently options from the bench, I don't think Aimson being sold for a decent fee would necessarily be a miss.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Doesn’t even make the squad today!! Make of that what you will but Will i think is on Gary’s naughty step :whistle: