• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Who's a naughty boy then?

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
The LOG/Indo exchange reminds of the Bill Clinton questioning when the old rascal said it depended on what the meaning of the word "is" is.

IndoMike

But I wasn't talking about women's football, by the way. You can check out lady/ladies in a dictionary : it's perfectly simple to understand and I think it's still used. But if the dictionary states that it is obsolete, then it's not commonly used of course. In the current era people do tend to use "women's football" rather than "ladies' football". In my opinion it's up to the ladies to decide if they prefer the term "women's football" or "ladies' football".

geoffwp

Ah, zippergate. What an apt reminder Al. Such a noble tale of the American dream. :)

LOG

But I wasn't talking about women's football, by the way. You can check out lady/ladies in a dictionary : it's perfectly simple to understand and I think it's still used. But if the dictionary states that it is obsolete, then it's not commonly used of course. In the current era people do tend to use "women's football" rather than "ladies' football". In my opinion it's up to the ladies to decide if they prefer the term "women's football" or "ladies' football".
I wasn't talking about women's football either, i was talking about your use of the word "ladies" which backed up what i thought about your slightly misinformed/poorly worded post. The reason that ladies football is lesser used now is because to call a woman a lady is to call a man a gentleman. It is a comment on their character rather than their gender.

The point about your phrase of "in the current era" is that to say it is to suggest that it was ok to think differently in another era.

I went to bed about 3 hours ago and couldn't sleep. This'll teach me. Night all.

geoffwp

Is it just the post midnight hour causing so much bollix to be spouted?

LOG

You managed it hours ago so i doubt it.

IndoMike

The LOG/Indo exchange reminds of the Bill Clinton questioning when the old rascal said it depended on what the meaning of the word "is" is.
I assume you refer to Log with your "old rascal" comment. None of my associates would ever refer to me as an "old rascal". I am a rascal-free area.

IndoMike

Is it just the post midnight hour causing so much bollix to be spouted?
I think dear old Log has a fly in his soup, or maybe because it's the "Witching Hour"..

LOG

You could just clarify, like a clarified stock that i'd use to make my soup before putting a fly in it, what you meant by "in the current era".

IndoMike

You could just clarify, like a clarified stock that i'd use to make my soup before putting a fly in it, what you meant by "in the current era".
Simply, times have changed regarding what is expected from men regarding the level of respect they should show towards women.
Regarding the use of "lady" : I agree with what you have said, but wouldn't it be better not to use any modifier at all? We don't say "Men's Premier League", so why say "Women's ....".