• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

When Was Your First City Match and Who was Your First Idol?

roger wellman

God knows and the only Legend this club has ever had................. Tony Kellow.
I think Pierce Sweeney might be getting to legend status. I haven't known any other player play as long with us than him.

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
Midweek under the lights v Rochdale, taken by a neighbour who parked me in the St James Road end by the railings and he stood in the cowshed - late 60s. Magical.

Fred Binney. Magic !

JW57++

Boxing Day 1957 v Torquay (Hence the 57 in my username Bridgy.). We won 5-1 to go above Torquay but we finished bottom of Div 3 South that season. For almost 50 years I boasted that City had improved since I started supporting them. Then we went Non-league!!!
Gordon Dale was my first favourite player but Alan Banks became my hero in the promotion year.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
I remember that incident very clearly and was outraged by Tim Sills’ behaviour.
In fact I was moved to design and buy a t-shirt online to demonstrate my disgust.
I still have it.
It’s in Torquay yellow with Sills’ head on the front in blue with ‘Say No To Football Cheats’ written underneath.
I used to wear it quite often.
Fortunately or maybe unfortunately I didn’t have it on the day we travelled across from Sandbanks to Brownsea Island because as I disembarked the boat he was stood right in front of me with his family.
Luckily he didn’t crumple in a heap on the ground clutching his head as I brushed by him.
He was probably afraid that when he hit the deck he might roll off the jetty and into the drink.

Rosencrantz

New Years Day 1982, a 1-0 home defeat to Newport for my first game. I can only really remember Len Bond getting stretchered off. I started going more regularly a couple of years later and my first favourite player was Martin Ling and then Brendon O'Connell later in the 80's.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
City at home to Blackburn early on in the Championship season. He didn't play in that game but our current goalkeeping coach would soon become my favourite City player.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think Pierce Sweeney might be getting to legend status. I haven't known any other player play as long with us than him.
Steve Flack?

Alistair20000

Boxing Day 1957 v Torquay (Hence the 57 in my username Bridgy.). We won 5-1 to go above Torquay but we finished bottom of Div 3 South that season. For almost 50 years I boasted that City had improved since I started supporting them. Then we went Non-league!!!
Gordon Dale was my first favourite player but Alan Banks became my hero in the promotion year.
Another fact learned.

I assumed your Exeweb user name meant you were born in 1957*

*Perhaps you were depending on how old you were for that first match.

jimmy

I can't recall my first game but it would have been mid to late 90s on the old Big Bank.

Anyone remember Karaoke Dave (I think) handing out balloons to the kids on the front barrier? We would then proceed to hit the passing stewards on the head with them for the rest of the game...

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
It has always annoyed me that I cannot remember my first game - all i know it was early 70's and I think probably 72/73 but cant be sure
Idol was Tony Kellow- with my favourite player John Delve
Neither of the choices are linked to the fact they both became landlords after playing - honest 🍺🍺🍺