• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

When Was Your First City Match and Who was Your First Idol?

larrywilkie

Just out of curiosity, I was wondering when this was for you all.

I'm sure there is a great cross section of ages on here.

I thought my first game was 50 years ago, but having looked back, it must have been in the 70/71 season, as I well remember Joe Gadston being my first club idol, so for me it was about 53 years ago!!

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
No idea
Fred Binney

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
"What was your first City match" has been done before, of course. We were still in the Third Division South when I first visited SJP, although you'd never believe it to look at me. My first idol was Jimmy Thompson, whose shorts always seemed muddier than anyone else's. As a very little lad, that did appeal to me.

Alistair20000

Boxing Day 2007 beating Torquay 4-3 after Danny Seaborne was given his marching orders.

Idol that day Jamie Mackie. And the blonde lady in the family stand serving the coffee and doughnuts. :)

Villain of the day: Tim Sills

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Aka "The Man Who Fell To Earth" (without anyone laying a finger on him).

Bridgy 81

September 1977 Exeter City 0 Portsmouth 1.
I went with my Mum, Dad and brother and we stood in the Cowshed.
We bought a dog from a pet shop in Sidwell Street after the game and named it after Portsmouth’s goalscorer,
Kemp.
I know, but I was very young and didn’t understand life then.
Four years later (hence the 81 in my Exeweb name) I returned under my own steam, started supporting the correct team and have never looked back.
I took an instant liking to Ray Pratt, so was honoured to meet and interview him for a Senior Reds’ meeting recently.
We never did change the dog’s name though.

Alistair20000

We bought a dog from a pet shop in Sidwell Street after the game and named it after Portsmouth’s goalscorer,
Kemp.
Four years later (hence the 81 in my Exeweb name) I returned under my own steam, started supporting the correct team and have never looked back.
I took an instant liking to Ray Pratt, so was honoured to meet and interview him for a Senior Reds’ meeting recently.
Well you learn something every day.

I thought the 1981 Bridgwater carnival might have inspired your Exeweb name

larrywilkie

Kemp.
Probably for the best that you didn't name a dog after Ray!!

JGrecian23

I believe my first City game was an FA Cup game home to Northampton in the 90s with my Grandad but I don't really remember that.

Started going when at school with mates in the 99/00 season and we drew 1-1 against Carlisle I think.

When it got to 2001/02 I started going to every home game then and really got the bug.

Those early years it just seemed like we either lost or at best got a 1-0 with a Flack goal.

Bridgy 81

Boxing Day 2007 beating Torquay 4-3 after Danny Seaborne was given his marching orders.

Idol that day Jamie Mackie. And the blonde lady in the family stand serving the coffee and doughnuts. :)

I remember that incident very clearly and was outraged by Tim Sills’ behaviour.
In fact I was moved to design and buy a t-shirt online to demonstrate my disgust.
I still have it.
It’s in Torquay yellow with Sills’ head on the front in blue with ‘Say No To Football Cheats’ written underneath.
I used to wear it quite often.
Fortunately or maybe unfortunately I didn’t have it on the day we travelled across from Sandbanks to Brownsea Island because as I disembarked the boat he was stood right in front of me with his family.
Luckily he didn’t crumple in a heap on the ground clutching his head as I brushed by him.