• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

When Was Your First City Match and Who was Your First Idol?

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I dont really post on EW and havent for years. That said thread sparked me to life...

I dont know if it was my first game but first memory is the Norwich FA Cup game in 8990. I remember it being rammed. I was so excited when Dazza scored but then of course that was very shortlived.

Predictably Darren Rowbotham was my first and still all time fave City player in 35 years nearly of supporting.
Pretty sure I was in Thomas Moore trying on school uniforms when this match was being played 😅

gilbertshoot

I dont really post on EW and havent for years. That said thread sparked me to life...

I dont know if it was my first game but first memory is the Norwich FA Cup game in 8990. I remember it being rammed. I was so excited when Dazza scored but then of course that was very shortlived.

Predictably Darren Rowbotham was my first and still all time fave City player in 35 years nearly of supporting.
Questions I'd like to ask someone from 8990 - does football still exist, do City ever make it into Europe and are we all travelling around in hover cars?

davemcmorrow

My first match was against Cambridge in 1999. We lost 3-0 and had Jon Gittens sent off. Somehow I was hooked and I didn't miss another home game that season. Not sure who my first city Idol was, possibly Gary Alexander or Christian Roberts.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
My first match would have been some time 95/96 - I'm not completely sure what game it was!

My first ever football match was Torquay 0-0 Hartlepool for my brithday after my Dad (not from the area and Chelsea fan) thought City was too violent 😅 He used to have an office on the corner of Well St, which is now a coffee place - so regularly saw trouble outside his window which is fair enough. His friend was from Torquay and thought it was a better option; they took me to ANOTHER 0-0 and which point I was desperate to go to SJP. Sliding doors moment. I have never celebrated a Torquay goal thank god.

I do remember the match that made me proper fall in love with City though, with this Danny Bailey header. I was entranced:

First idol was probably Alexander, prior to that it was all just players in red and white for me

Spoonz Red E

My first match would have been some time 95/96 - I'm not completely sure what game it was!

My first ever football match was Torquay 0-0 Hartlepool for my brithday after my Dad (not from the area and Chelsea fan) thought City was too violent 😅 He used to have an office on the corner of Well St, which is now a coffee place - so regularly saw trouble outside his window which is fair enough. His friend was from Torquay and thought it was a better option; they took me to ANOTHER 0-0 and which point I was desperate to go to SJP. Sliding doors moment. I have never celebrated a Torquay goal thank god.

I do remember the match that made me proper fall in love with City though, with this Danny Bailey header. I was entranced:

First idol was probably Alexander, prior to that it was all just players in red and white for me
A cracking sequence of scores there with the lead swapping 3 times.
Mind, I fancy 3 or maybe 4 of those goals would have been saved with today's keepers.

grecIAN Harris

Rosencrantz and I didn't see the equaliser........... we were still busy celebrating Dazza's header. Probably the best header I've ever seen scored by a City player.

Remember the game well and a great view of Dazza's goal from the cowshed. Robert Fleck ( or as our fans were chanting on the day, ' you fat b*****d') got the last laugh as Norwich got the equaliser straight from the kick off and I don't think a City player touched the ball until after it went in the net. Left the game very promptly to drive to the NEC in Birmingham to see Paul McCartney.

Athelstan

My first Exeter City match was on 30th January 1993, a 0-1 home defeat to Blackpool. I think Dave Bamber scored the goal for Blackpool. I had to wait for the next game against Stockport County to see my first City goal by Alan Tonge.

elginCity

Robert Fleck ( or as our fans were chanting on the day, ' you fat b*****d') got the last laugh as Norwich got the equaliser straight from the kick off….
Flecky’s reaction to the chant - smiling broadly and rubbing his tum - won over the Cowshed - until his goal !

Colesman Ballz

Flecky’s reaction to the chant - smiling broadly and rubbing his tum - won over the Cowshed - until his goal !
To be fair to him, he did applaud the Cowshed at the end of the game, it was all good humoured.