• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

When Was Your First City Match and Who was Your First Idol?

StudentGrecian

Exeter 1-0 Southend 2003 is my first vivid memory at SJP. The Charlton FA cup game is also a strong memory from that year, but I would have been going from 2000 onwards.

That sinking feeling of relegation just stuck with me and replaced all memories before then I guess.

Glenn Cronin was always my idol in the early days, replaced by Coppinger and later Stanno.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Remember the game well and a great view of Dazza's goal from the cowshed. Robert Fleck ( or as our fans were chanting on the day, ' you fat b*****d') got the last laugh as Norwich got the equaliser straight from the kick off and I don't think a City player touched the ball until after it went in the net. Left the game very promptly to drive to the NEC in Birmingham to see Paul McCartney.
Watching the highlights the two things that are immediately obvious are the state of the pitch and the lack of, shall we say, physical conditioning of some of the players.

Watching the highlights the two things that are immediately obvious are the state of the pitch and the lack of, shall we say, physical conditioning of some of the players.
I had also forgotten the state of the pitch - so nearly "a great leveller" and I was also still celebrating Dazza's goal when Fleck equalised.

This was my first City game - City were 1-0 up and Halifax down to 10 men at one point.
Check out the attendance!!
1711466487672.png

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Questions I'd like to ask someone from 8990 - does football still exist, do City ever make it into Europe and are we all travelling around in hover cars?
Busted might be able to assist

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
This was my first City game - City were 1-0 up and Halifax down to 10 men at one point.
Check out the attendance!!
View attachment 15074
A couple of days before Terry Cooper first appointed - good timing !

Ex-ciderrr

1st game was August 98 vs Carlisle when I was 6/7. A baking hot day on my tip toes at the bottom of the old big bank peering over the fence. We played Hull at home a few weeks later under the floodlights and beat them 3-0 which I remember more, stood in the cowshed that night. I went to a few more games that season but Consistently went more as a got older And here we are today, wouldn’t swap it for the world.

1st idol/hero was Gary Alexander followed by the likes of Christian Roberts, James Coppinger, Sean Devine