• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

When a man is tired of London..

Jim Shepherd

Horses for Courses.
Dr Johnson's quote is just not relevant anymore.
But London has so many different facets that it rarely gets boring.
I appreciate it is crowded and people are seemingly fairly selfish but the infrastructure wasn't built to deal with 8 million people plus tourists.

You can still live in London and not have a selfish attitude. It is not compulsory to do everything at top speed and if you choose to talk to folk you'll actually find a smorgasbord of experiences and people.

It is what you care to make of it, Lots of kids are brought up without turning into mini crime waves and many suburbs are excellent places to live with the added benfit that one of the world's greatest cultural centres is less than half an hour away.

Personally, I still love London but then my job means I'm meeting a wide range of residents and learning about what they do, who they are.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Is there a definition of what is London and what isn't? For example, is Wimbledon in London or not? I'm not sure what London people on here are discussing. I thinking the non London people have a different view of what constitutes London from those that live there.

Jim Shepherd

Is there a definition of what is London and what isn't? For example, is Wimbledon in London or not? I'm not sure what London people on here are discussing. I thinking the non London people have a different view of what constitutes London from those that live there.
Tis a grey area.
I'll give you my answer based on the place.
Wimbledon? Yes.
Bromley? No
Brentford? Yes
Ilford? No

But they are all about the same distance and time from central London.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Having lived in London pretty much my whole life, for the most part I'm pretty sick of it and have tried unsuccessfully before to uproot "home" to Devon. I'm glad I live and work in the suburbs, as I find inner London too claustrophobic and avoid going into London wherever possible.

I'm not a fan of big cities for the same claustrophobia reasons - I really didn't see it with New York, f'example.

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
Interesting to see Berlin mentioned. I think it's my favourite city. Sometimes I wish London were more like it...but then I guess it wouldn't be London.

And as for London...unless you're into theatre, gigs, restaurants, bars and clubs (which it has the best in the world imho), forget it...it's an overcrowded, overpriced filthy dump.

jambo

Well-known Exeweb poster
How did you feel Edinburgh compared to London, based on your recent visit, Jim?

Jim Shepherd

How did you feel Edinburgh compared to London, based on your recent visit, Jim?
Difficult to say with any certainty.

But, there appeared to be a distinct lack of urban noise - vehicles, loud talking, even mobiles ringing etc. The pace of life is different and more in tune with how I tend to go around the place so felt really good.

As for safety, I certainly didn't feel threatened as I barrelled back down Princes Street at 3.30 this morning and saw nothing I wouldn't have expected in a big city when down near Haymarket on saturday evening.

I like most places I go except Paris, that is a total sh*t hole.
You must go to different parts of Paris from me ; my best friends live there and I have a great time when I visit them.