• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

What price stability?

Matt Russell

It was as plain as the nose on your face what the issues were this time last year
Well of course it was - not that that'll cut any ice with some. It's strange, but there will always be a yearning for the unknown. What if he'd selected so and so, what if he'd signed what's his name, who someone has heard is brilliant? I'd be surprised if the unrest doesn't surface at the first sign of a downturn...........and a downturn will surely come. That's the price of success!

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
Great thread, while we of similar philosophy and outlook share it, but expect our interlude to be interrupted soon. I agree with much of what has been said. Though I personally voted to end the rolling contract, my reasons weren't necessarily the same as others who did so. I did firmly believe then as now that long rolling contracts weren't good for a club such as ours with its limited, though stable, financial situation. Like Ian says however, that in itself was not the key to the team turning the poor results around, though I accept there are many who will disagree. I just hope I'm still around when he writes his football memoirs. Now that really will be some read.

Last edited:

fred binneys head

Amazing what hindsight does to some people's confidence in their opinions. At the start of last season we were terrible at home but had several away wins - it was the inconsistency that infuriated, not the team being ****.

geoffwp

I think you'll find that those who have posted so far always did have the opinion expressed Fred. It's not something that has been formed just this season.

fred binneys head

I'm sure you did geoff.

Oh for a bit of thread surfing..... :)

geoffwp

Oh for a bit of thread surfing..... :)
Well it is Sunday evening. What else is there? :D

cambmike

We should also acknowledge the stability (and discipline) that being a trust owned club brings. Living within our means has meant that we have invested wisely especially in terms of the academy and not over spent when struggling.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
I have never posted on this forum before because I am a bit of an outsider/part time ECFC Supporter. My roots are in the SE but I lived down here before during the Steve Flack years and went to quite a few games and now Im here again and go to St James Park quite often.

I always think back to a game Exeter played at Southend about 5 years back, not when they won 3-2 with Surman scoring that cracker, it was a non descript 1-1 draw from around the same period. I lived in Essex at the time and was trying to get my boy into football so we went to Southend a lot. Of all the teams Southend played that season Exeter stood out like a sore thumb, because they had an entirely different philosophy to every other league 2 side that we watched. The defenders passed it out from the back. All the time. Thats fairly unusual for a league 2 away side I would say. It was really striking, they had had a method of football drummed into them by Tisdale. A philosophy, if you will.

I think what that shows is that Tisdale is an unusual manager for his level, and has a vision slightly above that of the standard league 2 manager where it appears to be very much the Allardyce mentality amongst most of them.

It may not always work for example at the start of last season it certainly wasn't working, but I would say when the cards fall right for him he's got a slight advantage over his peers because Exeter's style of football is purer and a little better thought out. I think that is borne out with the level of footballer who is prepared to work with him when they might be able to aim a little higher, i.e. Stockley & Reid as recent examples.

For a club with not a lot of money, I think that makes him a major asset even though in times of trouble his approach could look like vanity, much like Arsene Wenger in fact.

Anyway thats my two pennyworth, as I say I am by no means an expert on ECFC its just my impression from watching the club.
Welcome to the forums and I hope you post again.

tavyred

We should also acknowledge the stability (and discipline) that being a trust owned club brings. Living within our means has meant that we have invested wisely especially in terms of the academy and not over spent when struggling.
Quite right.
Tisdale could have left or have been 'let go' last season and we could still be enjoying our current golden patch, who knows we could have been promoted last season under a different manager also.
To say our present situation is a complete vindication of Tisdale is conjecture.

DB9

I quite like the stability that the club has, Last season was one of the strangest ones I've seen for a long time, We were really bad at the start, Couldn't bag a win for anything and on here the mutterings turned into a loud cry for change, I wasn't one of them but must admit came really close to agreeing because i was so alarmed and the thought of non-league was unthinkable but then after being bottom in November we were almost unstoppable, Just failing at the final hurdle. Wembley, Great place to win but **** place to lose!

With regards to those who were calling for Tis's head to me were just fans who voiced their concerns on here as this is really the only place they could, Also concerned that if the club wanted to, They couldn't afford to get rid as was the terms of his contract which meant we were in a strange place, Probably no other club in the country was in the position where if we wanted rid we couldn't and i think that was in people's minds and now i hope that has been rectified with Tis's new contract (When he signs)

Last season really worked out for us in my opinion, Ok we didn't get promoted but when the players out returned from injury we were one hell of a force and the stability of keeping Tis in place and for me having one of the best close season in player recruitment and up to the transfer window closing we have seen for god knows when, Its paying great dividends so far on the pitch. I do wish other clubs would look at the bigger picture and long term instead of so called "Quick Fixes" Especially in the lower leagues, None will lose millions if they went down so this firing at a whim is just so narrow minded.