• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

What price stability?

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
This time last season we had played 8 and lost 6 by the 1st October we had played 11 and lost 8. Yes we had injuries and in hindsight probably the two most crucial being Holmes and Brown and sadly because of the family tragedy, that we now know he was coping with, we were also without the services of David Wheeler.

At the time 'Tis was offering their absence as a reason, although some of us saw it more as an excuse, for the catastrophic start. Many on here felt he was going to take us back to where he found us and wanted to see him gone.

Had he lost another couple of games on the trot making it making 10 out of 13 would he have gone? We will never know.
The only thing we do know is that he not only succeeded in turning things round but that upturn in results and performances has continued into this season. I have little doubt that had he been managing any other Club the first set of results would have seen him gone and in recent times I cannot think of any manager who has survived or would be likely to survive after such run of results.

Hindsight as we know is a wonderful thing but in staying their hand the Club has shown other Clubs that when results are not going for you embarking on a process of hiring and firing is not always the answer. Looking back I feel we should be thankful that the Club did not pull the trigger. Time has shown that Tisdale, for all his faults, is far more than just your average football manager and sees our Club more as his project than a typical football Club.

As we have seen, throughout his time with us, he is very much his own man with, as many of us have felt, a certain arrogance in his personna but he also has a strong nurturing side to his character. He is always very guarded it what he says in interviews but rarely if ever trots out the same old platitudes as most managers. To the best of my knowledge I have never heard him say "football is a results industry or the like" simply because he does not see it that way.

IMHO I believe we are now benefiting from the stability which his period of tenure has given to the Club. Although I would love to be a close confidant to him and find out what he really wants for both himself and ECFC.

ChrisWickens

Great post SB

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Great post SB
Thanks Chris.

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
Any business needs stability of key personnel, football is no different. I'm pleased that City recognise this.

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
It should be obvious, but football seems to act differently. Sacking managers after four or five games shows that other clubs will never learn, and frankly deserve everything they get.

I suspect the reason why football is different from other businesses is that football at a high level doesn't seem to think it bad business to sack someone three months into a three year contract and have to pay off the remainder...

grecIAN Harris

It should be obvious, but football seems to act differently. Sacking managers after four or five games shows that other clubs will never learn, and frankly deserve everything they get.

I suspect the reason why football is different from other businesses is that football at a high level doesn't seem to think it bad business to sack someone three months into a three year contract and have to pay off the remainder...
It is yet still so many on here were calling for his head. And even when some of those on here now recognise this they still clutch at the straw of changing his contract has I'm some way instigated what is now happening. All of which is total boylocks. It was as plain as the nose on your face what the issues were this time last year and the fact that once we got over those issues we got to Wembley should have been proof enough in itself.

1burnm

I have never posted on this forum before because I am a bit of an outsider/part time ECFC Supporter. My roots are in the SE but I lived down here before during the Steve Flack years and went to quite a few games and now Im here again and go to St James Park quite often.

I always think back to a game Exeter played at Southend about 5 years back, not when they won 3-2 with Surman scoring that cracker, it was a non descript 1-1 draw from around the same period. I lived in Essex at the time and was trying to get my boy into football so we went to Southend a lot. Of all the teams Southend played that season Exeter stood out like a sore thumb, because they had an entirely different philosophy to every other league 2 side that we watched. The defenders passed it out from the back. All the time. Thats fairly unusual for a league 2 away side I would say. It was really striking, they had had a method of football drummed into them by Tisdale. A philosophy, if you will.

I think what that shows is that Tisdale is an unusual manager for his level, and has a vision slightly above that of the standard league 2 manager where it appears to be very much the Allardyce mentality amongst most of them.

It may not always work for example at the start of last season it certainly wasn't working, but I would say when the cards fall right for him he's got a slight advantage over his peers because Exeter's style of football is purer and a little better thought out. I think that is borne out with the level of footballer who is prepared to work with him when they might be able to aim a little higher, i.e. Stockley & Reid as recent examples.

For a club with not a lot of money, I think that makes him a major asset even though in times of trouble his approach could look like vanity, much like Arsene Wenger in fact.

Anyway thats my two pennyworth, as I say I am by no means an expert on ECFC its just my impression from watching the club.

Grecian Royal

Totally agree Ian, and as David Wheeler so succinctly put it City is a club like no other. For that we should all be thankful, long may it continue.

iscalad

It is yet still so many on here were calling for his head. And even when some of those on here now recognise this they still clutch at the straw of changing his contract has I'm some way instigated what is now happening. All of which is total boylocks. It was as plain as the nose on your face what the issues were this time last year and the fact that once we got over those issues we got to Wembley should have been proof enough in itself.
Surely you have been around Exeweb long enough to know that facts don't matter, only opinions. :)

dontpassback

I bet the fans of chesterfield and port vale would love a bit of stability,will they get it ?,I doubt it very much,as David wheeler and others have said,this is a special club and now we have a quality squad ,with a quailty manager and coaching team that can only get better,happy days :D