• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

What happens if we don't increases attendances after the new Grandstand opens?

Fareham Grecian

Er, we carry on pretty much as we are? I don’t think an objective of the redevelopment was to increase crowds per se was it??

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Er, we carry on pretty much as we are? I don’t think an objective of the redevelopment was to increase crowds per se was it??
Probably not. But we've had a spell when we've only had the expense of looking after two sides, now we'll be back to four.

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
Probably not. But we've had a spell when we've only had the expense of looking after two sides, now we'll be back to four.
So what major expense is that likely to bring? A dozen or so extra stewards, a couple of turnstile operators (all of whom probably get paid peanuts!) And were done, as I see it?

Temporarily Exiled

So what major expense is that likely to bring? A dozen or so extra stewards, a couple of turnstile operators (all of whom probably get paid peanuts!) And were done, as I see it?
Probably offset by the additional food / drink that will be sold at half-time. A fair number I'd bet are put off by the queues right now, but with new facilities in the triangle and a dedicated area for away fans to pick up food and drink (without having to walk in front of all home fans), I'd expect revenues to increase.

IndoMike

Surely, in staffing costs it is just a return to the status quo that existed prior to the redevelopment starting ? We have merely had a benefit in with lower costs in the meantime. We have previously reduced costs by closing the away end and placing all visiting fans in the seats, when derisory numbers were expected. We could repeat that, or open just the Barnette part to accommodate those who wished to stand, sharing toilet and catering facilities at the end of the Flybe.

I remember visits to Northampton Town's two sided old home, when they used a corner at the cricket ground. So stands along one end and one side only, with just a rope dividing it from the vast expanse of the rest of the field on the other two, quirky even quaint maybe, but definitely soulless and devoid of atmosphere !

I can't believe that de facto you are suggesting leaving the stands empty, with the tumbleweed blowing through them, that would be seriously tin pot ? I get the feeling that your post, is merely clickbait to counter the effect of the private Facebook forum that one of our members has started for "serious" discussion on all things ECFC, open to invited members only ?

But to revert to your question, I do think that, initially at least, there will be marked increase in attendances, and hopefully the "breath of fresh air" sweeping through the club, coupled with better product offering on the pitch, will enable us to retain a percentage of them, after the initial novelty value has worn off.

I do hope that the Club hasn't "shot itself in the foot" somewhat with it's intention of raising admission throughout the ground after the festive period ? Surely it could have generated more revenue by holding out for compensation from MK Dongs for the value of the remaining six months on Tisdale's contract. That would have been the sound commercial decision, as it would also have had the added benefit of depleting a direct competitors budget ! The rise in prices could have been carried over to next season and justified by the promotion to League 1. UTC.
So you were invited to the exclusive FB group?

IndoMike

I can't imagine attendances increasing drastically when the new stand is open : people will just move around a bit. If we're still in the autos come March I'd hope that attendances will creep up to around 4.5k until the final push, when we might expect 5-6k. Of course, this is rough estimate, not gospel (in case any pedants are reading (facepalm))

Last edited:

Grecian_in_Plymouth

agreed it wasnt to increase attendances, but a really good improvement to the ground

ExeterCityLad

Why would we need ticket checkers? Don't tell me we haven't got the barcode scanners and automatic turnstyles in our newly built, 2018 stand.

hienzeECFC

presumably the staff who used to work in the OG have for the most part, been working in the (busier) BB and Flybe? We'd have heard about it if they had all been put out of work for the past year or so i'd have thought?

So staff costs wise there shouldn't be much of a difference.

Even if the attendances don't increase match to match, the ability to fit more people in when the sell outs come around is presumably a part of the thinking. The OG needed replacing and the away end was embarrassing. can't see why anyone would complain about the development really.

grecIAN Harris

There will be a whole range of costs associated with the match day running of the Stagecoach Adam Stansfield stand (e.g. ticket checkers, stewards, etc). I've no idea if this has been budgeted for, but if all we get is fans moving from one stand to another it won't mean necessarily reduced costs in the IP Office stand.

So, can we get enough extra people in to the ground to make it work financially?
Blame Tisdale/Perryman, everything that's wrong at the club is usually their fault regardless of their input or even the fact that they are no longer at the club. It's the easy option.