• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

What book are you reading ...

Ian Sideman

Touching the Void. Joe Simpson.
A gripping read. I'm surprised how much I enjoy his books, given I need a lie down even if I've only climbed the stairs. Which is a fortunate coincidence.

feverpitch

Well-known Exeweb poster
A gripping read. I'm surprised how much I enjoy his books, given I need a lie down even if I've only climbed the stairs. Which is a fortunate coincidence.
Never read any of his fiction but just finished this one. I'm no mountaineer, I wouldn't have even got to base camp on the way up, but it's still unfailingly inspirational stuff. There aren't really the words to describe what he forced himself to do, physically and mentally. An amazing but sickening read, beautifully written.

Swanaldo

Very well known Exeweb poster
On my desk in various stages of completion : The Crow Road, Cash: An Autobigraphy, A Journey to the Centre of the Earth, War Cries on Horseback and a Harry Crews novel that a customer gave me which I 'must read'.

I'm halfway through The Crow Road and still not sure if I've read it before. As it has the following elements I cannot disentangle it from rest of Banks' work:

1. A Big House
  2. A Hot Girl (who may be your cousin)
  3. Obscure Classic Cars
  4. Storms
  5. Lakes
  6. Dotty Avuncular Characters
  7. Stoners Discussing Politics and/or Music
  8. Love triangles

Swanaldo

^ Those aren't bullet points. Sort it out Exewebthorpe.

EX4 6PX

Well-known Exeweb poster
On my desk in various stages of completion : The Crow Road, Cash: An Autobigraphy, A Journey to the Centre of the Earth, War Cries on Horseback and a Harry Crews novel that a customer gave me which I 'must read'.

I'm halfway through The Crow Road and still not sure if I've read it before. As it has the following elements I cannot disentangle it from rest of Banks' work:

1. A Big House
  3. Obscure Classic Cars
  4. Storms
  5. Lakes
  8. Love triangles
I don't like to speak ill of the dead, but I think those plot points would cover all of Iain Banks's family novels, all of which I found disappointing, especially for an author who was capable of better - the Wasp Factory, Dead Air, Complicity for instance.

StroudGrecian

1. A Big House
  3. Obscure Classic Cars
  4. Storms
  5. Lakes
  8. Love triangles
You forgot Scotland (Ach - if only...)

You is rite of course but I enjoyed The Crow Road very much, like most Banks novels, though I gave up on The Bridge. Kafka on Buckie.

Back on topic, Revelation, by C.J. Sansom. Let's hope it is one.

Grecian_Jay

I might try a book soon. Never really got into reading. Don't have the patience or imagination for them but appreciate I'm missing out.

EX4 6PX

Well-known Exeweb poster
Thanks for sharing.

Grecian_Jay

Thanks for sharing.
I prefer you as your other usernames I think.

Alistair20000

I prefer you as your other usernames I think.

May we have a little list please Jay