• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

What’s the most pain you’ve ever been in?

Avening Posse

Very well known Exeweb poster
I broke two fingers (one of them in 2 places) when they were caught in a concertina door slamming shut at work. I had sweat dripping off my forehead within literally seconds, the pain was so bad

les.gtfc

When I was having treatment after having my brain tumour removed they needed to fit a lumbar drain as my wound wasn't healing as it should and was leaking from the top of my head. With it being so close to the base of my spine where they had to fit it, they could not use a local anesthetic. They had 2 goes trying to fit it in the ward but in the end they had to take me down to the operating theartre and do it under x-ray. They finally managed to get it fitted after several long, long minutes of excruciating pain which was only matched when it released all the pressure from my head which had been causing the wound in my head to leak. I literally thought my head was going to explode.

I have never broken a bone in my life so can't really compare it to that though.

grecIAN Harris

I had burst appendix which the Doctor didn't help by pressing right into my stomach where it hurt most. The other thing I found most pain was when I done my hamstring the first time.... God, that was agony.

IndoMike

Crikey. I'm getting worried something's gonna happen to me now.
I've been so lucky : played a lot of football, often went galloping on Dartmoor (on horses, of course), been evacuated from high-rise buildings in Jakarta several times during earthquakes, survived violent riots in Jakarta in 1998 when there were hundreds of fatalities, been for challenging hikes in da jungle, played around with a sea snake in shallow water in Bali not realizing at the time that it's venom is deadly, nearly drowned in Kuta Bali, was wrongly diagnosed with tongue cancer many years ago, been in 2 car crashes: never got a scratch.
I did have diarrhea once, took the wrong medicine, got dehydrated, and fainted in the bathroom - cracking my head open and needing 14 stitches, but it didn't hurt.
So when I read the stories of Harris, Grimsby Les et al I think someone has been looking over me.
To be honest, I'm a bloody coward regarding pain, doctors etc so it was a good job that I've been able to avoid both.

Grecian2K

Ian Stonebridge's 94th minute winner.

Rosencrantz

Broke both wrists within 9 months of each other, dislocated shoulder, cracked collar bone, broken fingers, damaged knee ligaments, deep cut to knee requiring stitches when falling on a piece of metal hidden in overgrown grass (still have the scar) and burns to head and hands after being in a gas explosion. Not much else since I got past the age of 12 though 👍.

southy

I got dumped by Veronica Dwibblethwaite

elginCity

Aged 17, late 70s, first deployment to the Far East, berthed in Singapore. Recurring ingrowing big toenail, and the drunken surgeon commander roared.. “We’ll sort it ! Permanently !!” Cut each side of the base, ripped the nail out, then peeled the skin back and scraped the root bed, bandaged up. The local anaesthetic coupled with the rum breath meant no pain. Initially.

Felt reasonably OK, didn’t want to miss out on a pub run, and so decided to go ashore that night, wearing open sandals, what a feckin eejit. I was 17 remember. Once ashore it soon started to throb, then caught it on a bar stool/table leg like you do, and blood started pumping out the top of the bandage. Then it started to hurt, really hurt, I went pale, carried to a taxi by me oppos and sent back to the ship. He was even more pished when I went back to the sickbay for re-dressing and painkillers, called me a feckin eejit. Because of the heat out there it took months to heal, a green, weeping festering sore. Lesson learned though.

IndoMike

Broke both wrists within 9 months of each other, dislocated shoulder, cracked collar bone, broken fingers, damaged knee ligaments, deep cut to knee requiring stitches when falling on a piece of metal hidden in overgrown grass (still have the scar) and burns to head and hands after being in a gas explosion. Not much else since I got past the age of 12 though 👍.
Not too bad, then.

les.gtfc

I must add that my pain didn't last too long as they did get me smacked of my tits on morphine pdq. :)