• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

What’s the most pain you’ve ever been in?

Legohead

Banned
I did play for half an hour in a game with a broken ankle. Not quite Bert Trautmann but it wasn't pleasant.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Gas tumble dryer I expect.
I didn't know there was such a thing.

Oldsmobile-88

I didn't know there was such a thing.
They were a big seller years ago.A lot cheaper to run than the electric equivalent.
On the old British Gas days(not to be confused with the present charlatans who use that name) We fitted them for free.The consumer had them on a free trial for 3 months after which they paid for the tumble dryer or we removed it..Never took a single one out.

I have fitted gas refrigerators as well,until Electrolux bought out Gascold in 1983 & stopped production.
They cost pennys a year to run & were completely silent.

IndoMike

They were a big seller years ago.A lot cheaper to run than the electric equivalent.
On the old British Gas days(not to be confused with the present charlatans who use that name) We fitted them for free.The consumer had them on a free trial for 3 months after which they paid for the tumble dryer or we removed it..Never took a single one out.

I have fitted gas refrigerators as well,until Electrolux bought out Gascold in 1983 & stopped production.
They cost pennys a year to run & were completely silent.
So they are powered by natural gas of course, not by gas bottles. Here there is no direct gas supply - even in luxurious apartment buildings each apartment uses bottled gas for its gas supply. Scary in a way, but you never hear of any accidents.

Oldsmobile-88

So they are powered by natural gas of course, not by gas bottles. Here there is no direct gas supply - even in luxurious apartment buildings each apartment uses bottled gas for its gas supply. Scary in a way, but you never hear of any accidents.
Bottled gas(Propane or Butane) is different in many ways,it’s heavier than air & collects at floor level making ignition not so easy(a good mix of air is reqd)whereas Natural Gas is lighter than air(Specific Gravity 0.6) & can have a more potent mix(5-15% gas in air reqd for ignition)

Slightly more difficult to get ignition with bottled gas because of the low flammability limit of it (2 to 9% gas in air)

IndoMike

Bottled gas(Propane or Butane) is different in many ways,it’s heavier than air & collects at floor level making ignition not so easy(a good mix of air is reqd)whereas Natural Gas is lighter than air(Specific Gravity 0.6) & can have a more potent mix(5-15% gas in air reqd for ignition)

Slightly more difficult to get ignition with bottled gas because of the low flammability limit of it (2 to 9% gas in air)
So bottled gas is a bit safer, although the possibiliy of a faulty bottle/ connector is always possible. Interesting that when the bottle is nearly empty there is a gas odour. Somebody told me there is a chemical that remains at the bottom of the bottle that causes that odour. Sorry I can't use any technical terms : not my thing.

Colesman Ballz

There was a bottled gas suppliers yard near to a flat of mine in London. There was a fire one Saturday afternoon, and the exploding bottles were flying 200 ft into the air, and the surrounding streets were evacuated. Absolute carnage !

Oldsmobile-88

So bottled gas is a bit safer, although the possibiliy of a faulty bottle/ connector is always possible. Interesting that when the bottle is nearly empty there is a gas odour. Somebody told me there is a chemical that remains at the bottom of the bottle that causes that odour. Sorry I can't use any technical terms : not my thing.
Natural Gas does not have a smell.
The smell is introduced into the gas via fogger units on the network.

IndoMike

Natural Gas does not have a smell.
The smell is introduced into the gas via fogger units on the network.
I meant the gas bottles, Olds

Oldsmobile-88

I meant the gas bottles, Olds
Sorry misread your post in my excitement of the win today 😁😁😁