• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Westboro Baptist Church & Louis Theroux

mole221

Is anyone watching this, I've always enjoyed his style of filmmaking and enjoyed the last one on the same subject.
This church seem to believe that they are God's own people, and hate everyone else. Fecking Mental
Anyway is anyone watching?

Last edited:

downthetrack

Is anyone watching this, I've always enjoyed his style of filmmaking and enjoyed the last one on the same subject.
This church seem to believe that they are God's own people, and hate everyone else. Fecking Mental
yep,i love god me

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Louis Theroux's a great filmmaker. The one he did on Philadelphia was very good.

downthetrack

Bible bashers, c*ck in one hand,bible in the other.

mfcrocker

But I know we'll meet again, some sunny day...
Totally forgot about this, will have to hop on iPlayer this evening. The first docu was awesome, really like Theroux.

Red the Paper

Banned
Totally forgot about this, will have to hop on iPlayer this evening. The first docu was awesome, really like Theroux.
Worth a watch mate. Westboro are really sad controlling people. I pity the young children who cannot get free. It is clearly abuse. Good work by Theroux

davecg

The interview with the young lad was the saddest, he must have been about 10 and was so brainwashed with religion and homophobia it bordered on abuse.

Jam Doughnut

I am surprised that no one has shot any of them yet!
celebrating the death of an american soldier at his own funeral ,in front of his family is beyond sick.
They are just brainwashing their kids and grandchildren into thinking like they do so there could be thousands of these nutcases in the future.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
What a bunch of hate filled people, The look in the eyes of that main woman was just pure evil, Good docu and showed how there are some crazy people in this world. The old man in charge of the church, What a nutter!!!

Last edited:

Dobley

As always with Louis Theroux it was watchable and enjoyable, although I did find it a little pedestrian and formulaic.

Theroux is working at his best when he first hits a fringe; they dont know him, he knows little about them, the audience in the main wont know what to expect... half the fun is Louis trying to work out and subtly highlight each groups contradictions.

I saw little point in this follow up - both parties knew each other so the back-and-forth was exactly what was expected, WBC members being generally guarded and towing the 'company' doctrine (or else on occassion going on the offensive), leaving Louis to resort to sledge hammer tactics in his questioning, getting little out of them in the process. The only newish insight on WBC was from those who had left, and the expereinces there werent anything extraordinary in regards banishment from a cult. Given that this episode was subtitled "Family In Crisis", there was nowhere near enough time given over to exploring potential rifts.

Instead we were left with the usual interviews (haha, lets laugh/feel sorry for the kids who have been brainwashed), and footage of pickets and counter-pickets (oooooo, they're so mean, wow, they're using Lady Gaga parodies now?), neither of which provided a great deal of provocative or incisive documentary making.

As I said; watchable, enjoyable even from a tune-out and go with the flow perspective, but ultimately a little lazy.