• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Violence at SJP c.1977

Red Monster

The video below from the BFI says:

Violence has broken out between the fans of football club rivals Exeter City and Torquay United. The fans were drinking at 'the Near Post' bar in the social club housed within the grounds of St. James’ Park. The match is stopped because of a fan on the pitch who is eventually led away by police. Post-match violence erupts causing the police to intervene when fans are injured.

I don't think it is Torquay though. Any ideas?

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-dXzxvx8BX4[/video]
Your right its not Torquay is everyones favourite Cornish team Plymuff in there yellow and green trim .

grecian55

It was the League Cup 1st round 2nd leg game against Argyle in August 1976..They wore yellow shirts as their 2nd kit that season...
Remember it well,came up from Barnstaple with 4 others in a mates Mini, fans locked in Northenhay Park ,some lad got hit with a hammer on his way back to St Davids and had his jaw broken ,we stopped off on the way home at Morchard Road pub Sturt Arms ? (now the Devonshire Dumpling ) the landlady refused to serve us as she didn't want "Your sort" in her pub and some chap tried to push us out the door so one of my mates clocked him one and they called the Police who sent the local Bobby out after us ,pulled so over at Umberleigh and arrested my mate who got fined £5 ,the Copper said he hadn't ever arrested anyone for assault in the area since he'd been a Copper ,i expect my mate would've got 5 years and a 10 year ban nowadays ! oh the memories ha ha

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Another memory from those days was Operation Aggro (I kid you not) from.the fixture at SJP in April 1979..There were rumours of someone coming up from Plymouth with a firearm,that the old bill took seriously..Trains were stopped & searched,incredible looking back now. .

ronniej

Another memory from those days was Operation Aggro (I kid you not) from.the fixture at SJP in April 1979..There were rumours of someone coming up from Plymouth with a firearm,that the old bill took seriously..Trains were stopped & searched,incredible looking back now. .
Remember a certain punk from whipton getting arrested on the station platform.
He wanted to start a one man war with the swilly boys
Nothing to do with football,he just hated Plymouth.

STURTZ

November 1975
We went 1 nil up very early in the game if I remeber correctly
We were moved for our own safety and eventually lost 6-2
Never liked the place since.AWL
I was there, we spent most of the game hiding behind a police special, cheered every goal Cardiff scored!

ronniej

I was there, we spent most of the game hiding behind a police special, cheered every goal Cardiff scored!
You can buy the programme for the game £2.99 on EBay

grecian55

The rumour mill certainly churned out some classic quotes back in the aggro days (facepalm)

Oldsmobile-88

The rumour mill certainly churned out some classic quotes back in the aggro days (facepalm)
Ha..Yes...Still it was better back in those days than some of the nonsense I read on Facebook & forums nowadays..

PeteUSA

Ha..Yes...Still it was better back in those days than some of the nonsense I read on Facebook & forums nowadays..
Quite so. Just the odd one or two tend to spoil it for everybody.

iscalad

The video below from the BFI says:

Violence has broken out between the fans of football club rivals Exeter City and Torquay United. The fans were drinking at 'the Near Post' bar in the social club housed within the grounds of St. James’ Park. The match is stopped because of a fan on the pitch who is eventually led away by police. Post-match violence erupts causing the police to intervene when fans are injured.

I don't think it is Torquay though. Any ideas?

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-dXzxvx8BX4[/video]
This has to be 2 videos stitched together, Replica kits weren't available in 1977