• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Violence at SJP c.1977

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
I can't add any more to the clueage but that certainly brought back good memories. So good to see the old cowshed again. I can see Chris Fear up that ladder and filming away for the TV. He didn't half get some stick. The "near post" was the club shop in Blackboy road.
I suspect the commentator on that gantry was the late Don Arnold. He was bald, wore glasses, and chainsmoked. Chris Phere did all the Argyle home games. On the topic of Don Arnold, I remember him once up on that gantry clinging on to the ladder that a few fans at the bottom were trying to remove; funny as hell!

Oldsmobile-88

I suspect the commentator on that gantry was the late Don Arnold. He was bald, wore glasses, and chainsmoked. Chris Phere did all the Argyle home games. On the topic of Don Arnold, I remember him once up on that gantry clinging on to the ladder that a few fans at the bottom were trying to remove; funny as hell!
Defiantly Chris Fear on the gantry that day...He did many Grecian games commentating for Westward TV..

tea stand

It definitely wasn't Torquay, it was against Plymouth. City in their new all white with red trim Adidas kit, Plymouth in their change kit of all yellow with green/black trim(they also had all white kit then) It was 1977, first match of the season and first round of league cup. we played them 5 times this season, 4 draws and 1 victory with Alan Beer scoring a great late winner down at Home Park. As for the Near Post, this was the club shop and not a bar and was on corner of Blackboy Rd

Oldsmobile-88

Olds is spot on ,on close veiwing you can see a green trim on the yellow shirts and shorts.i think we won 1 0
As you said 1-0..Mike Jordan scored..The game was a evening KO on August BH,so plenty of tanked up Argyle around the town all afternoon.The old bill rounded them up after numerous fights broke out over the course of the afternoon & kept them in Northernhay Park..The worst aggro I have seen in Exeter except for the Wolves game a couple of years later.

STURTZ

Chris Fear on sportsdesk "Well if those fans want to think themselves mental then let them!"

STURTZ

Chris Fear on sportsdesk "Well if those fans want to think themselves mental then let them!"
Was it Chris Fear or was it Gary Newbon?

flakey pasty

I remember being with a group of lads and nicking the ladder, leaving poor old Don Arnold stranded on the gantry. What japes!

Oldsmobile-88

Not a man to mince his words..He was always pretty bullish with his opinion..A favourite of mine that went down like a lead balloon at Home Park was..'When Argyle learn to play forward rather than sideways they may start to be entertaining to watch..'....I can't imagine a local TV reporter/commentator saying that nowadays..It's all become too polite.

ronniej

As you said 1-0..Mike Jordan scored..The game was a evening KO on August BH,so plenty of tanked up Argyle around the town all afternoon.The old bill rounded them up after numerous fights broke out over the course of the afternoon & kept them in Northernhay Park..The worst aggro I have seen in Exeter except for the Wolves game a couple of years later.
Plymouth were mental,it was the only fixture I had to go to with my dad.

PeteUSA

Was it Chris Fear or was it Gary Newbon?
Gary Newbon didnt do a lot of match commentating. He was more of a studio anchor when Westward were at Drakes Circus.