• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

VAR - In our league: Yay or Nay?

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Dinosaurs are not extinct on Exeweb. :)

You will not ultimately stop the onward march of technology. It may be a while off at our humble place in the food chain but in due course...............

IndoMike

- I bought an abacus the other day, so there
You will not ultimately stop the onward march of technology. It may be a while off at our humble place in the food chain but in due course...............
I'm not a dinosaur - I bought an abacus the other day, so there !

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster

Well the dinosaurs were around for +/- 90 million years and never won the World Cup...

Seriously, we might get goal line technology in the lower leagues but I can't see VAR going further down the food chain than the PL and Wembley in any foreseeable future. Who is going to fund c.20 permanent cameras at 72 EFL grounds, plus the infrastructure to staff and monitor them?

Alistair20000

Well the dinosaurs were around for +/- 90 million years and never won the World Cup...

Seriously, we might get goal line technology in the lower leagues but I can't see VAR going further down the food chain than the PL and Wembley in any foreseeable future. Who is going to fund c.20 permanent cameras at 72 EFL grounds, plus the infrastructure to staff and monitor them?
90 million years is a long time JW. VAR at L2 will come in that time span. :) You saw it here first [tap]

NOTE TO MODS

Is it going to take 90 million years to get the Matt Taylor smilie in place. It is just wrong that Tisdale is still there without Matty and maybe Tis should be out of there anyway.

#curmudgeonday

Alistair20000

Totally agree with your very good point in the first para about slow motion distorting the reality of the action and totally agree there was no hand to ball. It might have cost Croatia the World Cup.
Look again Indo. Croatian matey's hand did move towards and eventually made contact with the ball as it cleared French matey's head. Possibly this was a natural part of his turning in mid air. I think Jason makes a good point that this particular incident should have been best dealt with in real time as it just did not look "deliberate" as it happened. And isn't the point of VAR that it corrects clear and obvious errors, which this was not ? The slowmos complicated the thing yesterday rather than clarifying it. Rather like the reviews in cricket for "did it carry" catches where the replays are often inconclusive. I have some sympathy with the ref. Once the VAR dude instructed him to look at this his natural reaction would have been that he had got it wrong which was bound to influence his review of the replays. It is not the technology at fault here; it is how it is used.

IndoMike

Look again Indo. Croatian matey's hand did move towards and eventually made contact with the ball as it cleared French matey's head. Possibly this was a natural part of his turning in mid air. I think Jason makes a good point that this particular incident should have been best dealt with in real time as it just did not look "deliberate" as it happened. And isn't the point of VAR that it corrects clear and obvious errors, which this was not ? The slowmos complicated the thing yesterday rather than clarifying it. Rather like the reviews in cricket for "did it carry" catches where the replays are often inconclusive. I have some sympathy with the ref. Once the VAR dude instructed him to look at this his natural reaction would have been that he had got it wrong which was bound to influence his review of the replays. It is not the technology at fault here; it is how it is used.
I don't think players should be allowed to influence/pressure the referee into resorting to the VAR If VAR is to be used, then it should be the referee to call for it if he is genuinely unsure.
In the case of handball and some tackles, slow-mo sometimes can help but sometimes it gives a false impression, making the incident look more deliberate than it really is. Leave it to the referee, as we have done for so long. On balance, the cost of implementing this system, especially at our level, is not justified.

iscalad

I'm not a dinosaur - I bought an abacus the other day, so there !
Don't you have enough fingers and toes?

Anyways...I say it was handball.

IndoMike

Don't you have enough fingers and toes?

Anyways...I say it was handball.
Well I say it was ball to hand - not guilty - accidental - Free the Croatian Eleven - ref from Argentina - ask Ali about Argentinians (I like Argentina myself, except for boggle eyes)

LOG

I think the issue with the penalty was that handball and any associated intent is often impossible to determine with any accuracy unless it's blatant. Yesterday's fell, for me, into the category of "seen them given" but that shouldn't have been enough for the VAR refs, or whatever we call them, to refer it for review. Isn't there something about it being clear and obvious?

Alistair20000

I do not like Argentinians and in particular one little fat cheating count for whom VAR came too late.