• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK Lockdown

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Have you partaken of the haggis yet Olds ?
I did that once......in the Edinburgh Festival staff canteen!

I always look forward to having a nosh
Oh, how I miss Joyce :cry:

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Most of the tourist shops are open in Crete, and all the Tavernas and cafés. Plenty of face masks in evidence in Heraklion, but not so in Rethymno. But we've now worked out that Heraklion and Chania are on local lockdown. We've just hired a boat and the owners said it's been very busy since the flights restarted.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Have you partaken of the haggis yet Olds ?
Nope...Never had that delicacy on my numerous trips to Scotland.

I was talking to a Scot in a bar who lives in Norway.He has been back visiting family recently before returning home,he was astounded how draconian the lockdown had been compared to Norway.

Mr Jinx

Sweden's CV infection rate is now lower than its neighbours Norway and Denmark.

So much for full lockdown eh!

When we look back hopefully we realise that full lockdown was a mistake. Sweden's common sense approach has won out.

tavyred

Sweden's CV infection rate is now lower than its neighbours Norway and Denmark.

So much for full lockdown eh!

When we look back hopefully we realise that full lockdown was a mistake. Sweden's common sense approach has won out.
<whispers quietly> Herd immunity.

Mr Jinx

<whispers quietly> Herd immunity.
It's the road that Boris initially wanted to go down as he was advised. But then he chickened out.

Churchill he is not.

The full lockdown genie is now well and truly out of the bottle. Good luck ever getting it fully back in. We're now on the road to ruin.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's the road that Boris initially wanted to go down as he was advised. But then he chickened out.

Churchill he is not.

The full lockdown genie is now well and truly out of the bottle. Good luck ever getting it fully back in. We're now on the road to ruin.
Our lockdown was all about ensuring hospitals could cope. Without it, they wouldn't have - unlike Sweden's. And they possibly only 'coped' by the scandalous way the elderly were thrust back into care homes, in England and to an even greater extent in Scotland.

Once it was clear the NHS was coping (by early May), it was then left to drift and loosening was too much about parks, beaches and tea with your neighbour in the garden and not economic activity or education.

It is clear 'full lockdown' has not worked for Spain and France. It has worked for New Zealand but they seem to be working on a policy of cut themselves off forever, which long-term, can't see working - or if it does, will come at huge cost.

We still need to be very careful and keep a very close eye on hospitalisations. Deaths are on the up in Spain (184 yesterday) so 'the wrong people' are catching it there.

Alistair20000

Observer today referring to a confidential PHE dossier leaked to them that says the Lockdown had little effect to stop the spread of the disease in the North.

Alistair20000

Oh, how I miss Joyce :cry:
Never mind Mick, the carrots and onions are growing and the tomatoes are in abundance. So much to do in the garden and kitchen right now.

Try Swanny’s recipe for red onion, tomato and chilli relish. I am making a batch this afternoon