• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK Lockdown

StroudGrecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
And we're left with a 3 trillion dollar bill.
That's numberwang.

Alistair20000

It is illegal to trade in pangolins , so unlikely (but not impossible) that they would be found at a market. Apparently most likely culprit is the turtle, which they say is a reservoir for viruses
Question for your thoughts Indo with your knowledge of Far East eating habits.

Is there anything conceptually different from eating cows, sheep, pigs, chickens etc on the one hand and bats, rats, cats, dogs, snakes, turtles etc on the other.

Is the problem simply down to the shortcomings in the standards, poor hygiene and ignoring animal welfare in Far Eastern markets ?

IndoMike

Question for your thoughts Indo with your knowledge of Far East eating habits.

Is there anything conceptually different from eating cows, sheep, pigs, chickens etc on the one hand and bats, rats, cats, dogs, snakes, turtles etc on the other.

Is the problem simply down to the shortcomings in the standards, poor hygiene and ignoring animal welfare in Far Eastern markets ?
Firstly, I don't think you can lump all Far Eastern countries together. Indonesia is 80% Muslim, more or less The only meat Muslims eat is beef, chicken, goat, duck and fish. Dogs, cats, pigs, bats, frogs, monkeys, snakes etc are "haram", which means "not halal", which means forbidden.There are
certain more remote parts of Indonesia such as Medan in Sumatra and Menado n Sulawesi where there is a larger Christian community and they may eat "halal" food
So, if you go to a local, traditional market you won"t see any live animals. Bali is mainly Hindu, so they eat pork but not beef.
There are food inspectors who check the markets and take away food samples for testing and now the army is going around checking food prices to make sure nobody he is hiking prices.
Indonesia is an archipelago with 17, 000 islands There are many different languages, cultures, traditions. But the vast majority of the people live on Jawa, which is mainly Muslim . Very interesting place to live. Sometimes infuriating sometimes comical, sometimes endearing, and sometimes amazing
So, most middle class people upwards will either shop in a mall supermarket, of which there are hundreds, or send their housekeeper to the local market to buy veggie and fruit .
I've only had one bad case of tummy trouble here (diarrhea) but I guess people get diarrhea in Europe, too .
Overall there's little that would shock you or disgust you walking around Jakarta or most places in Jawa, but yes, you'd still get culture shock.

IndoMike

This is a classic "mind over matter" situation.
We have to shut out all negative thoughts, since the worst scenario may never happen, so why worry about it?
In my opinion we have to see this as a challenge : every generation has been faced with one kind of challenge or other since man and woman appeared on the planet It's our turn and we can deal with it.
So I apologise for the amateur philosophising but there will be an end to the tunnel and we will be there to pass through it.
Let's keep our chins up, appreciate what we have, and help those we are able to.
Look forward to City's promotion push in July.

UTC

tavyred

Well said Mike. (y)

Reactions: DB9

IndoMike

Well said Mike. (y)
Thanks. I'm sure millions of people will be saying the same rhing. We humans often fark up, but we survive. We're strong and will adapt and invent ways out.

tavyred

Thanks. I'm sure millions of people will be saying the same rhing. We humans often fark up, but we survive. We're strong and will adapt and invent ways out.
Humans are deeply flawed but also remarkable in many other ways, I fully expect a game changing way of treating this virus very quickly and a vaccine well within 12 months.
RESURGAM.

Red Devon

The antibody test will be a sure fire way off seeing who has had the virus without knowing it this will bring peace of mind to many and help enormously.

IndoMike

Humans are deeply flawed but also remarkable in many other ways, I fully expect a game changing way of treating this virus very quickly and a vaccine well within 12 months.
RESURGAM.
You can be sure all the major pharmaceutical companies and hospitals
will be making every effort to discover the vaccine. It will happen.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Government 'key workers' list who can still send their children to school, if they are sole carer / both parents are key workers is enormous

1. All health and social care workers, including all those involved in the medicine / medical equipment supply chain
2. All education professionals
3. Key public service workers - justice, charity, religious staff, frontline workers, funeral services & journalists (!)
4. Government workers ' delivering key services'
5. Public safety & national security - Police, MoD, Armed Forces, Fire, Border Control, Prison Officers, NCA, Probation...
6. Transport workers - air, road, rail, ferry, freight
7. Utiltiies, Communication & Financial Services - includes a massive number of professions from bankers, post workers, sewage workers, chemical & nuclear industries, telephone engineers

Can't overly disagree that anyone on this list isn't 'key' to keep the country running, but there will be a lot of kids still at school - much to the shock of schools
And you can argue that they should stay OPEN during the Easter holidays so that the key workers can still go to work, in the absence of kids clubs / granny to look after them