• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

TV Times

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Who remembers Superstars ?
Famous clip of Kevin Keegan falling off his bike.
I couldn’t imagine Liverpool allowing Mo Salah to complete in that sort of TV show these days..Imagine the insurance premium 😁

DB9

Who remembers Superstars ?
Famous clip of Kevin Keegan falling off his bike.
I couldn’t imagine Liverpool allowing Mo Salah to complete in that sort of TV show these days..Imagine the insurance premium 😁
Remember that programme, Great viewing and IIRC they were actual Sporting Stars of the day, Not retired or anything but in their sporting prime. Can't imagine any club or team manager letting their sportsmen/women do Superstars nowadays

Oldsmobile-88

Remember that programme, Great viewing and IIRC they were actual Sporting Stars of the day, Not retired or anything but in their sporting prime. Can't imagine any club or team manager letting their sportsmen/women do Superstars nowadays
It was a good programme.It was quite competitive from what I remember.
Yes it was current sport stars.George Best was in one of the shows.It was after he had left MU & was playing for LA Aztec.

As you say it would not happen now,also Agents would want a fortune & there would have to be a daft amount of prize money on offer.

I think all the winner of each show got was a small trophy & loads of kudos for beating other sportsmen.

Oldsmobile-88

From this day in 1976..Not a bad line up on BBC 1 in the evening.
Ellery Queen..
Warship
Play for Today..D8493BAD-F98D-44F6-8E77-9D381C917352.jpeg

Alistair20000

Loved Warship and HMS Hero.👍

ambitious Commander Nialls, hard bitten Commander Glenn and wise bird Captain Holt.

Dreadful trouser suits that Prunella Ransome wore though

Tim Long

I think all the winner of each show got was a small trophy & loads of kudos for beating other sportsmen.
All the losers got was a hangover, apparently https://www.theguardian.com/football/2009/may/20/seven-deadly-sins-football-gluttony-stan-bowles

LOG

Keegan never really looked like he was in control. Perhaps it was an early warning for his managerial career?

Red Devon

From this day in 1976..Not a bad line up on BBC 1 in the evening.
Ellery Queen..
Warship
Play for Today..View attachment 1709
Odds on I’d watched Ivor the Engine that day. 😂😊

Last edited:

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Odds on I’d of watched Ivor the Engine that day. 😂😊
Same. I'd have skipped Cristal Tipps and Alistair. Awful programme (or was I too old?).

Mr Jinx

Same. I'd have skipped Cristal Tipps and Alistair. Awful programme (or was I too old?).
What do you mean? Quality viewing.

Cristal Tipps grew up but changed her name...to Theresa Villiers!

Going through the day's schedule I am thinking it must have been a piece of píss being a commissioning editor back in those days.

Last edited: