• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Turning point - Tis slating the fans

flackyISmydadHONEST

Well-known Exeweb poster
Indeed Sturtz, I'm more than happy to take all the credit! :D

UTC!

Ian Tarr

We all have Will Tucker to thank for the way we rallied.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think if Tis was to now talk candidly and honestly he would admit that he was under pressure at the time and was wrong to side so strongly with his over precious playing squad.
His comments praising the fans after the Huddersfield match smacks of an admittance that his dig was over the top, although the "penny dropping" comment grated a bit with me.
I think the key moment was Tis' admission- astonishingly frank- at the Fans Forum between the Oldham and Southend games about morale. He acknowledged that

' the players need a lift; I need a lift '

Which,if I read the events correctly, directly led to the 'meet the players off the coach at Southend' and the turning round from an atmosphere of recrimination to the opposite.

arthur

I am with Tavy Red on all aspects of this "darkest hour". I think Tis was in a bad place but managed to get himself, and the team, out of it in the nick of time.

The fans at Southend undoubtedly helped but at the end of the day if the performance of the team and manager is that dependent on how the fans behave then there's a significant problem...

tavyred

Which,if I read the events correctly, directly led to the 'meet the players off the coach at Southend' and the turning round from an atmosphere of recrimination to the opposite.
The meeting of the coach at Southend which if I recall correctly was met with complete apathy by most of the playing squad and totally ignored by the club captain Matt Taylor!
Hence a rather hurried message of thanks to the fans from Mr Marriott, probably to cover their collective embarrassment.
I have to come clean in that I think there is still a real disconnect between player and supporter at the club, which is a real worry considering our set up.
Let`s hope a close season and the change of playing personnel will change the culture ready for next season.

UTC!

elginCity

The meeting of the coach at Southend which if I recall correctly was met with complete apathy by most of the playing squad
You do recall correctly Tavy, they did look indifferent getting off the coach if truth be known.

Remember though, the previous away game at Brighton they'd had to run the gauntlet, so probably a little unsure about what was coming next!

Both Marriott and Tis appreciated the effort, so must have had a positive effect.

grecian greg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes i think after the game at home against Oldham after that comment from Tis it gave the fans a wake up call and made the fans respond for the rest of the season.

cityfan13

Tisdale had every right to critisise the fans after the Oldham game, as 50% of them were an absolute joke.

Never in my life, have i attended a match where half of our own fans boo the announcement of Ryan Harley as MOTM. Just because he had missed a pen.

It really was a disgrace. As i left the match thinking........ Some of these so called city fans are just c*nts.

But that's all in the past now, and roll on next season.

What's also funny is that i just know if we don't start next season well. The Tisdale out brigade will appear and start calling for his head. When in reality, I'll bite your hand off for 20th place.

tavyred

Tisdale had every right to critisise the fans after the Oldham game, as 50% of them were an absolute joke.

Never in my life, have i attended a match where half of our own fans boo the announcement of Ryan Harley as MOTM. Just because he had missed a pen.

It really was a disgrace. As i left the match thinking........ Some of these so called city fans are just c*nts.
I`m sure Tisdale realises now that he and the likes of Stewart and Russell went over the top and I think a few bridges have been built since, your recollection of the game is totally different to mine I have to say.
Tisdale was under pressure and chose to lambast the paying public in a couple of media interviews that did him no favours in my view.
But as you say it`s in the past now!

Oli

I think Tisdale had a point. If he planned it then it worked. If not then it shows he has passion, no one wants that.