• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

True supporters

StroudGrecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
A good proportion of the teams in league 2 won't bring that many fans, look at the league table and have a glance at the clubs, I would say less than 10 clubs will bring more than 300 - 400, this is a quick estimate.
Nonetheless, there are several that will bring many more than 500, and there will be greater home attendances for fixtures like Torquay, Pompey, etc. plus any other team that may be pushing for promotion towards the end of the season. We will still do well to top 4000 average for the season, but I suspect it will be just shy rather than down towards the 3550 you've picked from out of the Xmas shopping.

wemissmoxey

Nonetheless, there are several that will bring many more than 500, and there will be greater home attendances for fixtures like Torquay, Pompey, etc. plus any other team that may be pushing for promotion towards the end of the season. We will still do well to top 4000 average for the season, but I suspect it will be just shy rather than down towards the 3550 you've picked from out of the Xmas shopping.
I did not say that those three combined were going to be similar to our overall season average however whatever way you want to dress it up game by game our attendance has been dropping recently, those games were between October and the end of November, hardly Xmas shopping dates.

elginCity

Average for those three games is approximately 3550..... our attendances are dropping year on year.
Yes, corresponding to a run of poor, woeful form.

Just ten years ago, PT (Pre-Tis), another run of dire, poor form, and we were getting gates like this...

http://www.11v11.com/matches/exeter-city-v-kidderminster-harriers-18-february-2003-15489/

Perspective, missy.

wemissmoxey

Yes, corresponding to a run of poor, woeful form.

Just ten years ago, PT (Pre-Tis), another run of dire, poor form, and we were getting gates like this...

http://www.11v11.com/matches/exeter-city-v-kidderminster-harriers-18-february-2003-15489/

Perspective, missy.
As I have clearly pointed out our attendances have generally been dropping year on year, at what point do you face facts and realise it is costing us a lot of money.

It is nothing to do with perspective, it is not a short term occurrence.

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
An interesting theory, but unfortunately it doesn't fit the facts.

The last two seasons before the current one were two of our highest attendances since the Cooper promotion season - 4,142 and 4,474 in the supposed disaster of our relegation from League One. The season we won the league under Cooper our attendance was hardly any better at 4'859.
A point about the championship season average to put it into context. Once we were relegated under Gerry Francis we were generally poor throughout the next few years and our average gates I think were two to three thousand. When TC took over our gates were much worse than they are now and remember after we lost the first game in 88/89 the next couple of home gates were less than two thousand. So once the championship season started our expected home crowds would have been somewhere between 2500 and 3500. Our good form meant our crowds started to go up but it took a little while to encourage the fans to come back, we also had a number of good crowds in cups against Blackburn, Blackpool Sunderland and Norwich which if included would push the home average higher still.

From Xmas onwards our home gates were very good, the point I'm making is if we had a similar season now with no home losses in thirty one games with twenty six of those wins the average gate would be higher now as our crowds had been on an upward curve until the end of 10/11. Sure tisdale gets some credit for our crowds increasing as we went up two divisions but you can't compare the basic figures between now and 89/90. There is no doubt we are losing fans, we have some local games which can pull the average back up a bit but to make a significant difference we need to be winning and/or providing entertainment. The other difference now is we have a lot more local sides bringing decent followings compared to the level of away support in 89/90.

StroudGrecian

I did not say that those three combined were going to be similar to our overall season average however whatever way you want to dress it up game by game our attendance has been dropping recently, those games were between October and the end of November, hardly Xmas shopping dates.
So many factors affect the attendances of individual games there is little point in looking at a snapshot of 3 games in the autumn of any season, whether they are going up or going down. Better to look at the overall season averages.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just to backup WMM's statement that people have stopped going due to the style of play being served up at SJP, I can say, hand on heart, that I've had enough of watching us at home and consequently have missed the last four home games. I'm also not going to the Chesterfield game on Friday night. In the past I would have moved heaven and earth to get to a home game and rarely missed any. I have been a season ticket holder but now I can't justify spending £21 to sit in the OG and watch the ****e that's constantly served up.

In my 23 years of watching the club regularly, I haven't missed 5 home games in a row at home. But I can't even be sure I'll see the next one after Chesterfield either as it just seems so pointless spending money on seeing jokers like Coles, Sercombe, O'Flynn play as part of a slow, predictable and boring style of football.

It was great that Nichols scored two on Saturday, and if we keep giving the likes of him, JMT, Wheeler etc chances ahead of the previously mentioned jokers AND played a style of football that had some spark then I'm sure more people would come back to watch us, me included.

This doesn't mean I love the club any less than Suffolk, RM, WMC and all the other Tis lovers.

elginCity

at what point do you face facts and realise it is costing us a lot of money..
Reduced gates should mean less income, I do realise that. I also understand that football is cyclical, periods of success and good form as well as the opposite are true of all clubs.

Acknowledging that during this fallow period the gates, yes have been dropping, but still holding up remarkably well considering all the factors highlighted in previous posts, and in comparison with previous years and regimes. That's what I meant by keeping things in perspective.

We're on the cusp of unleashing a new, young team under stable management, we're in a good place. Confident good form and success will return, gates will improve, and I'd be surprised if the average gate didn't remain well above 4000 by season's end.

Grecian_Jay

Reduced gates should mean less income, I do realise that. I also understand that football is cyclical, periods of success and good form as well as the opposite are true of all clubs.

Acknowledging that during this fallow period the gates, yes have been dropping, but still holding up remarkably well considering all the factors highlighted in previous posts, and in comparison with previous years and regimes. That's what I meant by keeping things in perspective.

We're on the cusp of unleashing a new, young team under stable management, we're in a good place. Confident good form and success will return, gates will improve, and I'd be surprised if the average gate didn't remain well above 4000 by season's end.
This is my favourite bit. "Unleashing a young team", some of you do not understand that if they're all fit then all of the old boys will be playing. You will go back to seeing a team with Coles, Baldwin, Woodman, Davies, Gow, Oakley, Doc, O'Flynn and then the likes of Sercombe, Bennett and Artur. Every now and then when a few injuries strike he'll chuck in a Nichols or a Grimes but if he can bring in a Gill or a Oakely on loan he would rather do that.

There is no revolution happening here.

elginCity

There is no revolution happening here.
That's because it's evolution, Jay.