• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Total Apathy

paperclip

How many managers did Doble actually sack?

Cooper (was Doble in charge then?) - left to take charge of Birmingham.
Ball - left to take charge at Southampton.
Cooper part 2 - resigned after suffering a nervous breakdown when we'd finished bottom of the league.
Fox - resigned.
Blake - resigned.
All these managers performed better than Tisdale is doing, so didn't need sacking. I don't understand your point?

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
All these managers performed better than Tisdale is doing, so didn't need sacking. I don't understand your point?
Did they?

Cooper part 1 and Ball I'll give you.
Cooper part 2 got us relegated and then took us to the bottom of the entire FL. Admittedly working under difficult circumstances. We didn't win a home game for an entire year under him and early Fox, and that at a time when "home advantage" was really something.
Fox took us to a top position of 12th (and that with the final kick of the season from Carlisle's goalkeeper) and we only avoided relegation in 96/97 thanks to Hereford and Brighton playing each other on the last day.
Blake had us cast adrift at the bottom of the FL and we only survived at all thanks to Perryman coming in and teaching our defenders how to defend. When Perryman left we sunk again before he quit.

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
LOL

Fox, Blake and McNob.

Never forget the bad times.

Manager Win Rates!

Terry Cooper - 20.29%
Peter Fox - 29.36%
Noel Blake - 23.26%
John Cornforth - 31.48%
Neil McNab - 23.08%
Alex Inglethorpe - 49.44%
Paul Tisdale - 36.96%

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
I'd like to see a controlling interest in the club back in private hands, and The Trust no longer subsidising The football club.

We did wonders, but it's been a gradual decline that shows no sign of abating.

I'd also wager that a private owner would have got a better deal with ground redevelopment.

There, I never thought I'd say that, but I have.

supernova

We played better football under Noel Blake than the current lot. I'd take January 2000 over November 2016 any day of the week at the moment

Alex Inglethorpe won less than half of his games in the conference ?

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
We played better football under Noel Blake than the current lot. I'd take January 2000 over November 2016 any day of the week at the moment
Blimey, I've seen some revisionist stuff in my time but I suspect that takes the biscuit. The stuff on display under Blake was *HORRIBLE*.

I'm not saying it's good now (at home at least), I was at the Cambridge game, it was utter utter tripe for 75 minutes (to put it mildly). I do, however, find it hard to take statements like this seriously.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Blimey, I've seen some revisionist stuff in my time but I suspect that takes the biscuit. The stuff on display under Blake was *HORRIBLE*.

I'm not saying it's good now (at home at least), I was at the Cambridge game, it was utter utter tripe for 75 minutes (to put it mildly). I do, however, find it hard to take statements like this seriously.
I'd agree with this, Tisdale's football is awful but Blake produced some terrible stuff. Different time though back then to be fair so difficult to compare.

I've struggled with Tisdale's approach for a long time - even in the good years it wasn't as exciting as the results made it seem. Very ponderous at times which has only got worse.

The people who protested against Tisdale were roundly mocked, but to be fair to them they were/are right. A bigger show of fans force is needed, quite how that's directed I don't especially after that initial one didn't get numbers.

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
LOL

Fox, Blake and McNob.

Manager Win Rates!

Terry Cooper - 20.29%
Peter Fox - 29.36%
Noel Blake - 23.26%
John Cornforth - 31.48%
Neil McNab - 23.08%
Paul Tisdale - 36.96%
Just out of interest....Ignore Alex I, cos he only managed in the Conference... What is PT's win ratio in the Football League?

Coops first time round was immense, 2nd time, better forgotten. Foxy did ok and got us one or two great results.. Noel was learning but it got a bit too much for him (He was too emotionally involved) John Cornforth (playing with his mates) Neil McNabb (Don't know enough)

Last edited:

Mackster

LOL

Fox, Blake and McNob.

Manager Win Rates!

Terry Cooper - 20.29%
Peter Fox - 29.36%
Noel Blake - 23.26%
John Cornforth - 31.48%
Neil McNab - 23.08%
Paul Tisdale - 36.96%
I haven't time to do the maths, but I'd wager that Tisdale's last 5 years are nearer to McNab's. Would you take 5 years of McNab?