• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Torquay Utd versus the Exeter City Pre Season Friendly Saturday 22nd July 3.00 p.m. Kickoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devonisgreen

Fantastic read, hilarious in fact. Thanks

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
No problem, it'll never match the

"World Cup to be held in Plymouth"
"40,000 capacity stadium"
"Building the Japanese fanbase"
"Taribo West signs"
"Aquarium mega centre to bring PL football to Plymouth"
"Forza Verde"
"Bond Timber dugouts"

Threads on Pasoti over the years, and of course more to come after your inevitable drop back down in 1/2 years :love:

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
I hope Hallett has got deep pockets, Lansdowne at Bristil City has blown £240 mill just to maintain an average championship side. Good luck (not) with your extra £7m and see you next season

tavyred

Good to hear GC suggest last night that this PSF is to be binned going forward. The right decision and let’s face it a bit of a financial own goal by the Turks. I don’t suppose there will too many 3K plus crowds next season. 🤷‍♂️

Grecian Max

Good to hear GC suggest last night that this PSF is to be binned going forward. The right decision and let’s face it a bit of a financial own goal by the Turks. I don’t suppose there will too many 3K plus crowds next season. 🤷‍♂️
I think you took a light hearted exchange a little too literally 😂

He actually went on to say how it was a useful gauge as to where we are competitively.

You can book your English Rivera B&B for next year still.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
I disagree. Would be pretty pathetic of we did imho.

Also that friendly was the biggest wake up call we needed ahead of the season. GC indicated as much himself

tavyred

I think you took a light hearted exchange a little too literally 😂

He actually went on to say how it was a useful gauge as to where we are competitively.

You can book your English Rivera B&B for next year still.
I thought the exchange although light hearted revealed GC’s attitude to Torquay’s antics on the day and in answer to a direct question about returning next year, he said we wouldn’t. Whether that position will hold for 12 months is another matter.
Two things can be true of course, he admitted we’d been caught cold on the competitiveness front and that they were using that to be better, but he also reiterated the dangerous tackles.
We won’t be playing that particular PSF anytime soon.

Bridgy 81

I wasn’t at the game and couldn’t bring myself to watch the highlights, but have read reports and listened to interviews.
I think in pre-season matches both teams are in effect doing each other a favour of one sort or another.
In my view, on the pitch, these games are about building fitness, developing partnerships between players, trying out tactical ideas and bedding in new or integrating younger squad members.
Torquay didn’t appear to have the same concept as us of what constitutes a friendly and that’s their right.
But it’s equally up to us to select future opponents who are more in tune with our expectations of the purpose of these matches.
The way the game played out may have been something Gary and his coaching team used subsequently to stress to the squad the competitive nature of what’s to come but I won’t lose any sleep over the result, but nor would I play Torquay again under their current regime or without assurances that they’d be less reckless in their approach.
If we want to remain local in our future pre-season preparations we have plenty of other options available to us.

denzel

The heartening thing about last night was GC saying that we hadn't prepared for this game, and had a session in the morning before it, neither of which will be the case on a normal match day.
So the team went into it underprepared and knackered. I doubt this was the same for the opposition.
No wonder we lost

Spoonz Red E

We've had issues with reckless opponents in friendlies before.
Bodmin away - no more friendlies for several years.
Tiverton - on the naughty step for a few seasons.
Cardiff at SJP - we threatened to abandon the game if they didn't cool it.

I'm sure there will be some consequences for Torquay.
Whether that's a pause in friendlies with them or a much firmer understanding of reducing risk in future games (e.g. Tiverton had to pull one of their players during the game as he was heading for a red card and injury to one of ours).
Personally, I hope the fixture continues but with the above caveat.

Status
Not open for further replies.