• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Torquay United vs Exeter City Match Day Thread ...

rp42

Sercombe conceded, Bodin took
Not Bodin unless he changed colour?

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
Chap called Hawley apparently missed the penalty.

rp42

Not Bodin unless he changed colour?
Was number 9 Hawley,just for history.

Lager Lout

Well-known Exeweb poster
Cracking result.

Got back from Devon just in time to hear Wheeler put us two up. Obviously I don't know what happened in the first half, but apart from a spell of Torquay pressure just after their goal we didn't sound in too much trouble.

BUT... this was a single win against a side 22nd or 23rd in the league. Let's actually kick on from here and put a run of wins together instead of capitulating in our next home game.

LL

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Artur was the star!

Last edited:

grecIAN Harris

Good solid performance. Artur pulled off a good save from a penalty that never, ever was in a million years. Nichols smacked one in from, what looked like, 20 yards just before half time. My MoM Wheeler took his goal really well. Both he and Nichols put in really good shift of hard work and endevour and never let their opponents get into any kind of stride whatsoever. Another player who worked his socks off was Sercs. The amount of covering he did for Gow was ridiculous. Quite why we continued to keep Gow wide was puzzling to say the least. Every time Torquay broke with any effect it was down our left in the first half and right, after Gow and Wheeler swapped flanks at half time, in the second. Gow then wrapped up the win with a well taken strike when I was left wondering how he was putting one foot in front of the other as he looked knackered. He was consequently taken off a couple of minutes after the goal. Artur pulled off a couple of other good saves besides the penalty. The back four looked better than they did against Chesterfield, Baldwins presence in the air gave it a better balance and security. The midfield was a little lopped sided due to Gows inability to defend or get back when he'd gone forward. The front two got better as the game went on when they became more involved. All in all three points we deserved and never really looked like losing once we'd got in front.

Grecian1966

Had to suffer that game from the home end being unable to get hold of tickets thanks to Butch and friends being unable to provide a ticket service over recent days. The game turned as can be expected on the penalty save and subsequent pearler from Arthur who was simply sublime. The other stand out performers were Wheeler whose pace was a constant threat an Nicholls who led the line in the absence of Parkin (apparently on the pitch but largely anonymous). The back 4 look far more solid with Baldwin as Capt organising those around him and JMT who now must remain at left back and let Woodman have an extended rest.

Shape wise we look far more balanced with Gow on the left of mid and playing a more conventional 4-4-2. Our zonal marking from corners was changed from leaving a massive space for the opposition to run into by placing two players in the space we have conceded from recently. This appears to have done the trick. With Gilly coming off with a hamstring I am hoping Tommy Doc is fit to return as Grimes and Sercs in CM is lightweight and likely to be bullied to easily I fear. Gow was his usual self losing the ball too easily far too often and then coming up with a great finish - such an enigma! Sercs for me just doesn't cut the mustard - plenty of effort but no real quality. Grimes comfortable in possession and one great free kick. In the end we ran out good winners but the first half hour should have seen us 2-0 down. Why do we start so anxiously I don't know?

Fred

PeteUSA

Were Torquay as p!ss poor as we'd expected?

Last edited:

grecIAN Harris

In a word, yep.

TA1grecian

That bodin player was awsome, if it was possible I would certainly look have him at our club