• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

too rich for benefits?

Oli

Very well known Exeweb poster
I still say you shouldn't be allowed to force someone to work to be worse off than if they were on benefits.

Fix the system first.
Why not make them work for their benefits?

Mr Jinx

errr...isn't that simply called work?

Prefer they'd get off the teat altogether and earn minimum wage in the private sector. But then again, in certain circumstances, benefits pay more. And around we go, ffs.

brumgrecian

Now I am sorry, this has left a little gap hole inside me that means I want to be around my children and give them a little extra comfort, something I never had in my childhood.

Now if that means "scrounging" off the state for upto 5 years so that I can hold them and love them more often that if I did work full-time than I will as long as money is there for me to do that.
You should not be receiving benefits for what is essentially a lifestyle choice that you have made. What started as you excusing your idleness for your wife's ill-health has evolved into what is clearly you choosing not to work full-time so that you can spend more time with your kids. I resent having to fund this through my tax. The vast majority of kids seem to do fine when their parents work - your upbringing wasn't because your old man worked, it's because, from your account, he seems to have been a sh*t parent.

Either don't take any benefits or get off your a*se and do some work. Your kids will have much extra comfort if you take a more long term view and try and earn some wedge.

StixUK

You should not be receiving benefits for what is essentially a lifestyle choice that you have made. What started as you excusing your idleness for your wife's ill-health has evolved into what is clearly you choosing not to work full-time so that you can spend more time with your kids. I resent having to fund this through my tax. The vast majority of kids seem to do fine when their parents work - your upbringing wasn't because your old man worked, it's because, from your account, he seems to have been a sh*t parent.

Either don't take any benefits or get off your a*se and do some work. Your kids will have much extra comfort if you take a more long term view and try and earn some wedge.
Yes, once again you assume that I am idle, nothing I say in here assumes that I am idle in anyway at all, it is probably the fact that you have never experienced this system.

I resent paying my taxes that I have paid in the past for any NHS treatment that you claim in the future if you need it as I don't want to help people who don't want to help others.

I did choose for the last couple months to work part-time instead of full-time but I am in the process of applying for jobs as I don't want to go full-time in my current job and it causes more hassle than it is worth to take on short-term overtime due to the over-complicated benefits system that we have.

I love this Brum, it is essentially a choice of at this present moment:

1. Work part-time
2. Work full-time and get a few more pounds per/week but double the hours I work.

You are seriously telling me that 99% of people would choose work full-time and spend less time at home with their children???

Oh, don't tell me it would be the materialistic bullsh*t about working gains you more respect as a person.

My children will not respect me more at the ages of 4 and under for working full-time as they have no comprehension of this at the moment due to their ages. BTW I teach my children manners, discipline, fun and how to respect each other etc etc.

I'm sorry Brum and to all the other people out here I think I 'scrounge', I don't 'scrounge' and never put myself in the same category as people who blantantly go out to fleece the benefits system, I just agree with Mr Jinx to some respect, the system needs fixing first. I am in the process of going back to work full-time and have worked part-time for 2.5 months now, before that I was told by my wifes doctor in Jan 2010, if you don't give up work I will put your wife into hospital and then you will have to give up work...not really idleness, more being a responsible member of society and caring for my family.

I am just using the system to my advantage at this present time as much as a business uses the system to its advantage to avoid paying the full amount of tax, which I am sure runs into many more pounds than I claim?

People seem to think that I am the 'scrounger', I am not I am merely presenting a different view to yours. I can see both sides of the argument, I have been on the other side as well, paying shed loads of tax in the last couple years prior to Jan 2010.

What grabs me is that all the people that have criticised here on this thread act like they actually have never begged, borrowed or stolen anything and live by the morals of a stereotypical christian life.

Have none of you ever drank too excess? Have none of you ever smoked a cigarette? Have none of you ever 'borrowed' something from work? Have none of you been disrespectful to thy neighbour? Have none of you ever gone faster than the speed limit? Have none of you played practical jokes? Have none of you played music too loud?

You all think because I don't pay taxes right at this present day that I lower than you and merely because for a short space in time I decide to work part-time instead of full-time I am lower than you. It breaks me down inside to see that British society has befallen these attitudes, but because I don't pay taxes NOW, who cares?

StixUK

Agreed community voluntary projects are a good way to make use of the people claiming JSA without any valid reason to partake in this work.

LOG

Stix,

You live cheaply in Topsham. You go to the football. You have 3 children. You drive a 7 seater car. You have broadband. You have a football shirt with your moniker on the back. You work part time. You take advantage of the benefits system. You are intelligent but choose not to work full time to
spend more time with your children. But you are a victim of the system.

All your own admissions or choices.

That's why people are struggling to sympathize.

Mr Jinx

You drive a 7 seater car.
Motability per chance?

tavyred

Stix,

You live cheaply in Topsham. You go to the football. You have 3 children. You drive a 7 seater car. You have broadband. You have a football shirt with your moniker on the back. You work part time. You take advantage of the benefits system. You are intelligent but choose not to work full time to
spend more time with your children. But you are a victim of the system.

All your own admissions or choices.

That's why people are struggling to sympathize.
I have a feeling that Stix will eventually find himself the wrong side of a policy shift before the end of this parliament, although I have to say if the politicians are as weak as they have been re. welfare reform in the past then perhaps not!
Stix himself knows the "buzz phrases" to use when the ogre of self-reliance is bearing down on him.....child abuse, mental illness, drug addiction, I`m a carer and his wife`s back problem have all been thrown in to the the debate by him on this thread, these are tactics oft used by the undeserving to appear otherwise I guess.
Stix has admitted to being a "player" as regards the welfare system, let`s hope the Coalition are as good as their word and they end this abuse of taxpayers money.

LOG

I wasn't having a pop at Stix, i was just pointing out some factuals and don't want to get involved in a witch-hunt.

The benefits system is a wonderful thing and i fully support it. It's broken, probably beyond repair, but i still believe in it. I also believe though that it exists for the needy not the wanty (i made that word up) who have made lifestyle choices.

By the way, i've never claimed any kind of benefits and my sh*t doesn't stink :)

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I also believe though that it exists for the needy not the wanty (i made that word up) who have made lifestyle choices.
This, in a nutshell.