• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

too rich for benefits?

Cravat

Cleggover tries to defend International Aid here:

http://bit.ly/dqKJha

It does irk me though that India gets the largest chunk, considering that it's probably taken the largest chunk of our jobs too.
As for jobs going to India, what's that got to do with giving aid to India?
Please discuss amongst yourselves.

Cravat

Nice one. So give it to Africa then - less what you need to stay alive - and help to prevent people dying. I see you're alright, but you're not prepared to give any of it up to help the needy. You seem to come across as a bit of a hypocrite.
How so? I am more than happy for part of the taxes I pay to go towards helping people in third world countries.

Poultice

Very well known Exeweb poster
I've got a Japanese car.

For a car of its size, it's quite nippy.

I'll get me coat.
An interesting slant.

Alistair20000

They are Islamic so national identity plays second fiddle, Pakistan supplies most of the nice type of bloke that are removing our under equipped troops legs and arms on a daily basis
And there is every chance some of the overseas aid money is helping to finance this.

Alistair20000

They can invest their savings into an entrepreneur trust though. They are easy to get exposure too with little savings.
Is it Venture Capital Trusts you have in mind here Oli ?

In my experience these packaged "tax efficient" savings offer poor value for money with the promoters creaming off large dollops of commission, management fees and other assorted rip offs. The "costs" are often in the region of the tax saved.

Added to which Mr Average probably cannot afford these plans once the rent/mortgage food, other necessities, ECFC ticket costs etc have been paid.

Snakebite

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not that many people are bothered enough to mind whether their car was built in Japan or Sunderland, especially if being built in Japan means that it's cheaper.
I work for a large car manufacturer now (finally got bored of being a student type!) as a design engineer, and since coming into the industry I have been amazed by how many cars might belong to a German or Japanese brand, but are styled, designed, manufactured and sold within the UK.

BMW MINI and Nissan Qashqai being prime examples.

Despite there being no realy 'British owned' (that is a pretty loose term when you consider shareholders) OEM's anymore there are still an awful lot of of people employed in the UK car industry.

So when people get patriotic and shout 'buy British', that could be anything from BMW, Honda, Nissan, Jaguar/LandRover and plenty of others.

StixUK

I think it would be a mistake on your part to suggest that everyone if met with the same set of circumstances as you have faced would have followed the morally dubious path you have taken. You seem to have taken the path of least resistance, given a choice of work or idleness on benefits you have chosen the latter, you can square it off in your own mind by suggesting that it was a cold financial decision to remain on benefits, I simply don`t believe you!
The Government is not here to give you an "incentive to progress" whatever that means!
One look at your three children should be enough to get you back to work, have something about yourself FFS!
You are completely wrong here, the government shapes the economy, which in turn shapes the decisions that people make.

If the government didn't provide child benefit and tax credits for every child that you had, then people in society would have been less inclined to have children apart from the rich where the decision is more than likely not based on financial but on emotional feelings.

Here is your mistake Tavyred, you are suggesting that being on benefits is idleness because I presume that I pay no tax or NI...you are very wrong. For example, today my children have all been taken to a farm and seen various animals and fed pigs and helped make pumpkin soup, idleness?? I walk my children to and fro school, idleness? I do DIY jobs around my house, idleness?

Oh sorry, I work 20 hrs a week, idleness?

Tavy you make the biggest mistake in assuming that I have no pride in myself and when I look at my children I should empower myself to go back to work, pay taxes and work for my country...ha, you are a joke!

I have a lot of pride in myself before you put you assuming judgement upon me. I come from a single parent abusive family and yet have never committed a crime. My mother is a drug addict (which I found out after 23 years of not seeing her). I have obtained a degree. I have earnt £60k in 2 years in a bonus culture where my basic salary was £34k over 2 years.

I'm sorry Tavy, you see, the problem is that I could be like you, being a complete areshole to some the people who claim welfare benefits, but until you know the true story you think we are just lazy and cannot be bothered.

I will tell you my reason for wanting to spend a little time with my children, my dad worked all the hours under the sun to try and pay his mortgage as a single parent, in the meantime he kind of forgot about the emotional side of his little son (i.e me) I had no grandparents to look after me as they were as stubborn as mules, my mum had an affair when I was nearly 3 and my dad kicked her out of the house, I never saw my mum again, but yet she is still alive taking heroin and crack cocaine somewhere in Devon last time I knew. I tried to find her 10 months ago.

Now I am sorry, this has left a little gap hole inside me that means I want to be around my children and give them a little extra comfort, something I never had in my childhood.

Now if that means "scrounging" off the state for upto 5 years so that I can hold them and love them more often that if I did work full-time than I will as long as money is there for me to do that.

Once they reach 5 they hit primary education and well they are away full-time anyway during the week and to me the education system takes over the main responsibility of their development needs.

But once again I realise that in this world, nobody has anytime for compassion where money is involved. And this is true of your statement Tavyred, you have no consideration but for your family and yourself.

One more thing, I suspect that maybe it is a lot down to financial reasons tavy as I am clever enough to work out what I can and can't get away with in the benefits system and the most efficient income to earn where I can maximise my wages and my benefits income. Exactly the same as a businesses do, families do etc etc. The only difference is, I am using the benefits system, which is only temporary and will not dictate the rest of my life.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Now I am sorry, this has left a little gap hole inside me that means I want to be around my children and give them a little extra comfort, something I never had in my childhood.
As someone who is a 40% rate taxpayer, I have no problems with my taxes going towards you. Much better than going to civil servants who spend far too much time on the Internet, wasting their time.

tavyred

Tavy you make the biggest mistake in assuming that I have no pride in myself and when I look at my children I should empower myself to go back to work, pay taxes and work for my country...ha, you are a joke!

I'm sorry Tavy, you see, the problem is that I could be like you, being a complete areshole to some the people who claim welfare benefits, but until you know the true story you think we are just lazy and cannot be bothered.

But once again I realise that in this world, nobody has anytime for compassion where money is involved. And this is true of your statement Tavyred, you have no consideration but for your family and yourself.
Look, I don`t expect you to understand my viewpoint,you and your ilk are a product of our f*cked up system and consequently have a vested interest in it`s continuance as is.
Your ignorance of what the welfare state is for astounds me, the three paragraphs above sum it up in a nutshell in my view.
I don`t work to empower myself, pay taxes or to work for the country(?!) I work because I have a belief that it is my job to provide for me and my own and not the states responsibility.
I have compassion for the truly needy in our society, as for you...nah!
Go and tell your well rehearsed sob story to someone who gives a f*ck!

Mr Jinx

Eh, eh, calm down, calm down. Put away the handbags boys.

Firstly I don't think anyone can have a go at someone who is claiming benefits they are currently entitled to. If you have a problem with it, then it would have to be with the system not the individual. Thankfully the people responsible for such a wrong and broken system are no longer in power. Hopefully those that are now in power can fix it...and soon.

That is all.