• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Tony Kellow RIP

budegrecian

Great tribute from Giler, really great to hear that his team mates loved him as much as we did.

Tony Kellow WAS Exeter City in the late Seventies and Eighties. Thank you for making the view from The Cowshed so good, you gave us so many great memories.

Hello, Hello...............

RIP

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
Just watched Gilers comments about Tony. Giler very subdued for him, obviously lost a great mate.

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Love the start to the tribute..

Tony was born in Budock Water, three miles west of Falmouth on 1 May 1952 and while an electrician at Falmouth Docks he began his football career with Penzance AFC in 1970. While playing for Penzance he had a six-week trial with AFC Bournemouth but nothing came of it and he eventually joined his hometown club Falmouth Town in 1973. He became a prolific goalscorer with Falmouth, netting 126 goals in only 114 league games and scoring over 200 goals in all, while also winning a number of trophies with the club.

Such form attracted Exeter City and in July 1976 he signed for the club for a fee of £1,500. He commented on his somewhat late start in League football, "I had plenty of trials with different clubs and was offered terms by Plymouth Argyle but I wasn't happy with the situation and decided to continue with my apprenticeship and play local football."

RIP my favourite ever City player. Part of my youth torn away.

CWH-NYC_

Hello Hello...

All echoed from over here, saw him many a time, what a player, what a loss.

RIP

Cornish_Citizen

I grew up in the same village as Tony and was a mate of his, though he was a few years older than me. One of his brothers even worked for my dad for several years.

I now live away and only heard the sad news last evening, when I rang my mum.

We often shared a joke and a laugh whenever we were in the village pub together. He was always happy to talk about his time at SJP.

The first professional game I ever saw was the 1981 FA Cup replay against Leicester. I was at Bicton college at the time and went along with some other students.

As has been mentioned previously, Tony was a natural goalscorer. I obviously followed his career from its earliest days at Falmouth Town and Penzance. Maybe he could and should have played at a higher level than the third tier of English football. We shall never know, but in the third and fourth divisions, he was absolutely fantastic.

As he said to me one evening, "Beer and Kellow turned the opposition yellow!"

RIP Tony; you will be sadly missed.

staying up

So sad that he didn't get the chance to play at a highest level, perhaps because of his lifestyle rather than a lack of ability.When we talk about top city players, he is in my top three from 1950 when i started watching, along with Alan Banks and Scott Hiley, because of the length of time those three played for us, and how well they played from the time the started till the time they finished.
There is one other player who runs them close, and he is still playing now ---Rob Edwards.

Stuart Storer's Tache

Not bad that.

Im sure for all older fans who saw him play is a very sad day , i find it difficult to feel the same as i did with Stans , different era and the like.

and i mean that with no disrespect in the slightest.
I can see where you are coming from CREDY, although it's very sad, it's difficult to feel the same about a guy who was doing the business before you were born.

Although in saying that, the picture that's going to be used in tomorrow's matchday programme did make me go misty eyed. Kellow wearing the beautifully simple adidas strip, looking like a man not to be messed with despite having a mischievious glint in his eye.

RIP to a true Grecian legend.

ElTorro

RIP Tony Kellow

Best player ever in a City shirt for bravery and sheer guts.
True hero of mine.

I remember Kells from my early days, not so much him playing but the way he was held in awe by everyone in the crowd. A bouncing cowshed singing his name every match. Simply a legend. RIP