• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Tisdale V Taylor

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Well I can't help that, but I think this shows it:

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/an-inter-city-train-runs-behind-the-gil-merrick-stand-news-photo/679154220

BTW I should have said built out over the cutting, rather than embankment.
The point being that Birmingham have a lot more financial clout than we have, and in the same way as they could probably quite comfortably afford a £10M player, our record fee is a hundredth of that. Anything's possible if you throw enough cash at it, we just weren't either prepared to or able to throw enough to get a stand overhanging Network Rail land. So ours doesn't.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
....and lets be honest, the only reason we'd want to build the stand over the railway down there is so the ground LOOKS better. Considering we fill what we've got extremely rarely, the financial case for going through all that would be pretty difficult to make. Is a bit of a shame there's such a big gap there though... had imagined that as the pitch moved towards the Doble stand, we'd have a bit more space and the gap would've shrunk. But anyway... It is what it is.

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
Our 3.5 sided ground at least has plenty of character, history and a good city location. Much better than an empty, soulless, out of town bowl.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
It is beginning to concern me that Taylor might be coming under the scrutiny of clubs further up the leagues when they are playing their managerial merry-go-round. Matt was supposed to fail. We were supposed to fall on our arse looking stupid for "sacking" the previous manager but it hasn't happened because KMT is a good coach with a good eye for a player.

They will become aware of this if they haven't already.
If and when Matt Taylor moves on the club's track record suggests they will make another good appointment. Will be interesting to see if they follow the same formula of a 30-something articulate, well-qualified former player with some coaching/managerial experience but in his first job as a league manager.

StroudGrecian

The point being that Birmingham have a lot more financial clout than we have, and in the same way as they could probably quite comfortably afford a £10M player, our record fee is a hundredth of that. Anything's possible if you throw enough cash at it, we just weren't either prepared to or able to throw enough to get a stand overhanging Network Rail land. So ours doesn't.
Exactly so Ant, I was just responding to someone saying a stand overhanging a railway cutting wasn't allowed.

Stelios

It is beginning to concern me that Taylor might be coming under the scrutiny of clubs further up the leagues when they are playing their managerial merry-go-round. Matt was supposed to fail. We were supposed to fall on our arse looking stupid for "sacking" the previous manager but it hasn't happened because KMT is a good coach with a good eye for a player.

They will become aware of this if they haven't already.
Not sure about that. One fantastic performance doesn't make a season.

I'm loving him as manager and have full confidence in him but it's too early to worry about other clubs. We could make the autos or we could miss out on the Playoffs.

The Cowleys, Mike Flynn at Newport with the great FA Cup run (there is always one of these every season), David Flitcroft (Mansfield) etc will be getting more attention than our KMT.

Nathan Jones (Luton now Stoke) did it the proper way. Get promotion. Carry on your great form in the league above, then expect the offers to come.

geoffwp

I agree. It's early days in MT's managerial career. We need to see where this season takes us for a starter and even if (fingers crossed) it ends with promotion which would flag his name up, I think he would realise that is only the start of what he is looking to build. He isn't in this for the short term, he is Tisdales student and will be looking to put HIS mark on the club and develop it in HIS style.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong

geoffwp

Nice one mate. :D

globegrecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Well I can't help that, but I think this shows it:

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/an-inter-city-train-runs-behind-the-gil-merrick-stand-news-photo/679154220

BTW I should have said built out over the cutting, rather than embankment.
Whose bonkers idea was that?

The four coach Inter-City train that is. Short-sighted civil servants to blame for the guaranteed overcrowding apparently.