• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Tisdale out brigade - Mk Edition.

TSW1389

Am I right in thinking Tisdale left the club because the trust/fans wanted him out...that bears the question why would Tisdale want to come back even if it was a possibility? I am not trying to cause a friction I am just purely looking at it from the opposite perception, if I was Tisdale and my ex employer (who didn’t want me) asked me back a few years later I would tell them where to stick it!
I honestly think Tisdale decided not to stay because the club had moved on and with the success of the academy, players sales and general more stable base of the club the easy excuse of lack of funds or playing talent had gone. He looked out of ideas when it came to tatics in some games.
In some ways I think we as a Trust owned club had out grown him. We were no longer Paul Tisdale's Exeter City but Exeter City managed by Paul Tisdale. We the fans knew that we needed fresh ideas and someone who was willing to push that little bit more to better themselves and try and match the fanbase in regards of what we wanted.

Redarrow

I honestly think Tisdale decided not to stay because the club had moved on and with the success of the academy, players sales and general more stable base of the club the easy excuse of lack of funds or playing talent had gone. He looked out of ideas when it came to tatics in some games.
In some ways I think we as a Trust owned club had out grown him. We were no longer Paul Tisdale's Exeter City but Exeter City managed by Paul Tisdale. We the fans knew that we needed fresh ideas and someone who was willing to push that little bit more to better themselves and try and match the fanbase in regards of what we wanted.
Yes I agree on some excellent points there mate!! But wasn’t Tisdale responsible for nurturing the young talent we then sold on? I think it’s fair to say that Tisdale after a couple years with the club helped develop some of our home grown talent I.e Moxey, Friend, Mackie and Seaborn who were then sold to a championship club, then he managed the next crop I.e Watkins, Grimes and Ampadu who were also sold on to make money for the club, not even mentioning others that moved to a higher league club I.e sercombe, Nichols and Pym, all of these players were coached and managed by Tisdale so I think it’s fair to say he was a good football manager helping players develop, he kept producing players to make money for the club, a manager at lower league level unfortunately can only do this whilst also trying to get promotion, which he did twice and also got us to three playoff finals!! Now I know i sound like a huge Tisdale fan here but I can only agree on some woeful tactics in his last couple seasons, really excited to now have MT and it will be great when we smash them next season (if he is still there that is)

benjisheps

I wish this was the case but unfortunately as much as the club has grown and moved on we are still fighting against the tide in terms of having a competitive budget in league two. Even with all the sales we have had in recent years our budget is still only mid table compared to everyone else's in league two. Currently the club puts in an extra 500,000 per year to the playing budget (over budget) just to keep it competitive and this has been done with the sales over the last few years.
From what I have heard from within the club, Tis was becoming more and more frustrated with the trust run model and lack of finances which enabled him to compete. He was trying to push the trust board to consider outside investment in some sort of way to help push the club forward. I was a fan of what Tis did for the club but also felt it was the right time for all parties for him to move on and was disappointed with how it all ended and to some degree how Tis handled it all.

Don't get me wrong I love the fact that we are a trust run club and I think that is what separates us from every other club which makes City so special. However; there will come a time where if the club really wants to push on they will need to look at ways that they can welcome outside funding while maintaining the trust model.

In terms of MT he has been refreshing and exactly what the club needed and seems extremely driven to do what it takes to get success. There will be ups and downs and we still need to remember where we are in terms of finances compared to everyone else in the league. Ultimately as a club and in terms of the manager we are overachieving and everyone at the club should take great credit from that.

I just hope we continue to overachieve tonight and of course on Saturday!!!

older-codger

Am I right in thinking Tisdale left the club because the trust/fans wanted him out...that bears the question why would Tisdale want to come back even if it was a possibility? I am not trying to cause a friction I am just purely looking at it from the opposite perception, if I was Tisdale and my ex employer (who didn’t want me) asked me back a few years later I would tell them where to stick it!
He turned down an improved contract from the club when he left

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
From what I have heard from within the club, Tis was becoming more and more frustrated with the trust run model and lack of finances which enabled him to compete. He was trying to push the trust board to consider outside investment in some sort of way to help push the club forward.
I was on the Trust Board for much of the runup to Tis leaving and have no recollection of this ever being said to us.

Maybe this was discussed in the Club Board meetings, but obviously the Trust representatives had to preserve confidentiality in what they reported to the Trust.

I know he was incensed that the Trust wanted to vary his contract terms from a two year rolling contract to a two year fixed term one with periodic reviews, he made that clear. As I understand the end-game (which was after I left the TB) the Club made him a new contract offer on better terms and gave him several months to decide on this, but after leaving the Club Board hanging on in the end he didn't accept this by the date set for his response.

I always had good personal relationships with Tis, but with hindsight it was probably best (and inevitable?) that he left around that time. It's just a pity that it was not as amicable as it could have been.

Redarrow

He turned down an improved contract from the club when he left
Ahh my apologies, I thought the trust/fans wanted him out so he decided to leave at the end of his contract!! So if the trust voted him out but then the club ignored that and offered him a new contract anyways how much clout to the trust actually have?

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Ahh my apologies, I thought the trust/fans wanted him out so he decided to leave at the end of his contract!! So if the trust voted him out but then the club ignored that and offered him a new contract anyways how much clout to the trust actually have?
The only thing the Trust did was end this nonsense rolling contract that the club could ill afford to keep going

Last edited:

TSW1389

Yes I agree on some excellent points there mate!! But wasn’t Tisdale responsible for nurturing the young talent we then sold on? I think it’s fair to say that Tisdale after a couple years with the club helped develop some of our home grown talent I.e Moxey, Friend, Mackie and Seaborn who were then sold to a championship club, then he managed the next crop I.e Watkins, Grimes and Ampadu who were also sold on to make money for the club, not even mentioning others that moved to a higher league club I.e sercombe, Nichols and Pym, all of these players were coached and managed by Tisdale so I think it’s fair to say he was a good football manager helping players develop, he kept producing players to make money for the club, a manager at lower league level unfortunately can only do this whilst also trying to get promotion, which he did twice and also got us to three playoff finals!! Now I know i sound like a huge Tisdale fan here but I can only agree on some woeful tactics in his last couple seasons, really excited to now have MT and it will be great when we smash them next season (if he is still there that is)
Yes I agree he did help with the development of young players and let the trust put money into facilities rather than playing budget.
Tisdale had become stale and his time was up. As soon as the trust served his notice on the roller I think he knew he was out the door. Maybe the fear of the unknown gave him some motivation and then inturn the football improved again.
I'd rather our club was run as it was sustainably and we over achieve compared to our playing budget then be promoted because of lottery winners, millionaires money or thanks to debt such as Bury or even Torquay.
We need to get behind the trust and football staff and make sure our Club is the heart of the community and this is the only way we can make sure we survive and grow. Weather that be in league 1 or 2

Red Bill

The trust didn't vote him out, we voted to change his contract from a roller to a fixed term, as John explained.
What we do know is that despite his claims that City was holding him back and moving to a club with probably the biggest budget in the league, he only improved his final position by one place, on his last year with us and that on the last day of the season. He is now struggling in League one despite his budget. We however, despite the predictions of some of his most avid followers, have not imploded, arguably have a stringer fitter squad than any under Tisdale, only missed out on the play offs in the last two games last season, and have started strongly this season despite having a rookie manager at the helm.
Tisdale is a conceited cry baby with a messiah complex, who left of his own accord because the club's owners dared to challenge his notion of his own importance.

Redarrow

I can’t disagree that we have a much stronger squad and we are very comfortable with MT right now and I wouldn’t change it for anyone, especially Tisdale and I can’t understand why Tis wouldn’t want to be tied down to a fixed contract, surely it is more security and if the club wanted rid would have to pay him up, surely as a manager you would prefer that.