• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Time for a new train line through the south west - train related news

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
More Okehampton news.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Hope this goes ahead.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
For those interested in the ACE, this book is due out next week.

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Bullied Merchant Navy Pacific "Clan Line", undergoing overhaul at "Leaky Finders" (Hele and Bradninch) passed its hydraulic and steam tests in early March, so it shouldn't be too long before it is gracing the Main Line once more.

Stelios

Watched an old Poirot on tv and they mentioned the ‘boat train’. Curious about it I looked it up and there used to be service from London to Paris. The 1st class sleeping and baggage carriages were loaded onto a ferry on tracks 😲. 2nd class would have to get on and off the boat on foot as the 2nd class carriages didn’t do the crossing.

Service ended in 1980

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Ferry

Oldsmobile-88

Watched an old Poirot on tv and they mentioned the ‘boat train’. Curious about it I looked it up and there used to be service from London to Paris. The 1st class sleeping and baggage carriages were loaded onto a ferry on tracks 😲. 2nd class would have to get on and off the boat on foot as the 2nd class carriages didn’t do the crossing.

Service ended in 1980

There was a boat train service to Weymouth Harbour station(from Waterloo iirc)until 1986. Though that service never had the carriages loaded.

The rail lines to the Harbour which ran via a public road were removed last year.

Stelios

There was a boat train service to Weymouth Harbour station(from Waterloo iirc)until 1986. Though that service never had the carriages loaded.

The rail lines to the Harbour which ran via a public road were removed last year.
It didn’t sound as glamorous as I imagined. No air conditioning. And apparently noisy with the wheel chains being taken on and off on the car decks

Oldsmobile-88

It didn’t sound as glamorous as I imagined. No air conditioning. And apparently noisy with the wheel chains being taken on and off on the car decks
I think I’d have preferred to have got off & walked on the ferry.

As an aside, prisoners going to the then new Federal Penitentiary at Alcatraz in the 1930s travelled by rail. The prisoners did not leave the railway carriage which was uncoupled at the Railway Pier at the San Francisco Port. It was loaded onto a barge for the final journey to the island
The railway embarkation point & rails are still in situ.

Stelios

I think I’d have preferred to have got off & walked on the ferry.

As an aside, prisoners going to the then new Federal Penitentiary at Alcatraz in the 1930s travelled by rail. The prisoners did not leave the railway carriage which was uncoupled at the Railway Pier at the San Francisco Port. It was loaded onto a barge for the final journey to the island
The railway embarkation point & rails are still in situ.
I had no idea. Whenever I hear about Alcatraz I think about the excellent Clint Eastwood film ‘Escape from Alcatraz’

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

Service ended in 1980

The service from Germany to Denmark that hopped on to a ferry no longer runs as there is a high speed link now. But you can get a train from Sicily to mainland Italy that goes via a ferry. Have done both and great fun 😊