• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Tillson

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Don’t be silly he wouldn’t get into Any other league team.
As for you’re other point about playing centre half ,you would think he could head the ball but eight out of ten headers
He miss times and mostly they go straight up in the air, this is happening in every game.
He would get in other league sides IMO - he wouldn’t in yours.

Stalemate cest la vie - happy new year

iscalad

He would get in other league sides IMO - he wouldn’t in yours.

Stalemate cest la vie - happy new year
I agree with Credy. He does the ugly stuff well, just can't pass the ball.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
It's not often I agree with Credy, but I do in this case. He is most effective when we play a side with a creative attacking midfielder (e.g. Bostwick at Lincoln), but I thought his inclusion against Grimsby was a mistake as we didn't need a "break up play" type midfielder. As a result he looked lost and was reduced to trying to pass the ball, which is not his forte.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's not often I agree with Credy, but I do in this case. He is most effective when we play a side with a creative attacking midfielder (e.g. Bostwick at Lincoln), but I thought his inclusion against Grimsby was a mistake as we didn't need a "break up play" type midfielder. As a result he looked lost and was reduced to trying to pass the ball, which is not his forte.
Bostwick is far from a creative attacking midfield player.

Alistair20000

I agree with Credy. He does the ugly stuff well, just can't pass the ball.
This.

Is it enough though just to be able to break up play ? Rather one dimensional isn't it ?

manc grecian

This.

Is it enough though just to be able to break up play ? Rather one dimensional isn't it ?
It also increases the amount of hoofs from our centre backs because he doesn't want the ball. Few times against Grimsby where he was in enough space to receive the ball but pointed to give it to someone else.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
A league two destroyer needs to be able to pass the ball simply successfully most of the time, Tillson probably gives the ball away more than he keeps it, is this good enough ? I guess it depends on your standards and expectations of a professional league 2 footballer. Personally I expect more.

Red Monster

A league two destroyer needs to be able to pass the ball simply successfully most of the time, Tillson probably gives the ball away more than he keeps it, is this good enough ? I guess it depends on your standards and expectations of a professional league 2 footballer. Personally I expect more.
I also expect a player who’s been a professional for 5or 6 seasons, training four or five times a week get better controlling
A football.
The trouble with constantly playing the ball back to our back four our opponents get back set which stops
Us breaking on them,not only that you’re expecting our back four to pick a pass ,I thought that’s what a midfield
Players are supposed to do.

Last edited:

arthur

Are you having a laugh ?

Scot Bennett was / is a much more capable footballer than Tillson.
Scot Bennett in midfield was embarrassingly awful. He could have been a half decent centre back in a team that wanted a half decent centre back. I suspect the same applies to Tillson. Fortunately, we have had some more than half decent centre backs in recent years ranging from one M Taylor, through to Storey, Moore Taylor, Troy Brown and Aaron Martin

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Scot Bennett in midfield was embarrassingly awful. He could have been a half decent centre back in a team that wanted a half decent centre back. I suspect the same applies to Tillson. Fortunately, we have had some more than half decent centre backs in recent years ranging from one M Taylor, through to Storey, Moore Taylor, Troy Brown and Aaron Martin
I never said Bennett was a midfielder.

I don't think Tillson would be an adequate centre back at league 2 level, he isn't quick, he isn't good in the air, what attributes does he have as a football league centre back, trying hard isn't enough.

What I'm saying is Bennett was / is a more capable league two footballer than Tillson, Bennett is a solid league 2 centre back imho, he is also good in the air and a real threat from set pieces, he scored quite a few goals for us.

Last edited: