• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Things you dont see anymore

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
1996 that's early days for laptops being used for work!
A very basic version not a laptop as we know today.
It was only able to be used to receive work & transmit a complete a job report through a upgraded radio system that was installed.The radio was state of the art for the time.So good that someone in the know gave us the 16 digit number that could be inputted into the radio keypad,to hack into the BT network unrecorded 😁 one of the lads contacted family in Australia.It was awkward because you were using a hand set,so had to remember to say ‘Over’ when using it on the phone network.
Transco got wind of the wheeze & were worried they would lose their license to use radio frequencys if it got out & reminded everyone it was illegal.

We used Go Tough-Book Laptops from around 2003.
The industry was ahead of many others in that respect.

DB9

A very basic version not a laptop as we know today.
It was only able to be used to receive work & transmit a complete a job report through a upgraded radio system that was installed.The radio was state of the art for the time.So good that someone in the know gave us the 16 digit number that could be inputted into the radio keypad,to hack into the BT network unrecorded 😁 one of the lads contacted family in Australia.It was awkward because you were using a hand set,so had to remember to say ‘Over’ when using it on the phone network.
Transco got wind of the wheeze & were worried they would lose their license to use radio frequencys if it got out & reminded everyone it was illegal.

We used Go Tough-Book Laptops from around 2003.
The industry was ahead of many others in that respect.
Ingenious about "Phoning" Australia, Love that. 😁👍

Banksy

Heaven forbid.
3BA7C465-779D-40FD-8834-5D688331EEB2.jpeg

elginCity

1996 that's early days for laptops being used for work!
Bought a Toshiba laptop in ‘92. MS-DOS, floppy disk drive and a whopping 40mb hard drive ! 😂

• Haha
Reactions: DB9

Lammie

Hunterwasmyhero buying a drink.
I'd quite like to put the record straight on this one. Since the op in 2006, Hunter has bought me a beer on a couple of occasions.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Manually operated level crossing gates.

Or so I thought. But at Poppleton on the Harrogate to Scarborough line I spotted a person in hi Vis opening the gate after we pulled in to the station to let the road traffic move across.

DB9

Or so I thought. But at Poppleton on the Harrogate to Scarborough line I spotted a person in hi Vis opening the gate after we pulled in to the station to let the road traffic move across.
Blimey Hants, Thought they were consigned to history years ago!

fred binneys head

Blimey Hants, Thought they were consigned to history years ago!
Still got one near my house in Derbyshire.

Colesman Ballz

It depends upon what you deem manually operated ? Do you include a signalman turning a wheel in his box in time honoured fashion ? Still done this way at Blue Anchor on the West Somerset Railway.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
It depends upon what you deem manually operated ? Do you include a signalman turning a wheel in his box in time honoured fashion ? Still done this way at Blue Anchor on the West Somerset Railway.
A chap opened the gate.