• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Things you dont see anymore

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Didn't this come apart in sections?
Yes, for different age groups use.
I remember vaulting the horse long ways & nearly loosing my ‘crown jewels’ after not getting enough height 😎

• Haha
Reactions: DB9

Oldsmobile-88

Another one from the school gym. Rope climbing. That was incredibly hard & easy to have a fall. Most children generally do not possess the upper body strength required. I remember one lad took a tumble from about 12’ picking up rope burns trying to slop sliding down the rope.....Those were the days !

38FB10DB-AA54-43C8-9129-36394286AEF9.jpeg

Stelios

Another one from the school gym. Rope climbing. That was incredibly hard & easy to have a fall. Most children generally do not possess the upper body strength required. I remember one lad took a tumble from about 12’ picking up rope burns trying to slop sliding down the rope.....Those were the days !

View attachment 15008
The rope burns were brutal if you slid down. Still an important element for the Royal Marine recruits at Lympstone I think

Oldsmobile-88

The rope burns were brutal if you slid down. Still an important element for the Royal Marine recruits at Lympstone I think
I remember going to the Army Camp at Warminster,Wilts when I was 15 with a group for a few days. We did the assault course, it really was great fun in a masochistic sort of way. one of the parts was a 20’ wall with a rope to walk up it horizontally. Brutal, I don’t recall any of us managing it. There were a couple of nasty falls too.

DB9

I remember going to the Army Camp at Warminster,Wilts when I was 15 with a group for a few days. We did the assault course, it really was great fun in a masochistic sort of way. one of the parts was a 20’ wall with a rope to walk up it horizontally. Brutal, I don’t recall any of us managing it. There were a couple of nasty falls too.
Character building! 🙂

Oldsmobile-88

Character building! 🙂
It was a tough few days, but enjoyable, especially looking back. Great fun shooting a FN-FAL SLR.
Shown how to strip one down & re-assemble, a volunteer was asked to do it from the group. No hands went up.. The irate Sgt said “ so I’ve been wasting my fcuking time then “

Most of the activity’s would not pass a Risk Assessment now. No one in their right mind would sign them off.

iscalad

I did the assault course at Wyvern barracks. It was for charity. No real training, but we all thought we could take our time going around. The army thought differently. Quite a few of us were in a right state after that.

Tim Long

View attachment 15008
Are those rather feeble climbing bars in the background? The ones at John Stocker would have been up to window level. One of my school mates fell from the top onto an inch thick gym mat covering the solid wood floor. Surprisingly, he was completely unscathed.

iscalad

In high school my mate broke his arm on one of those vaulting horses. A few weeks later he was stood on a bench and fainted during a class that was showing the insides of a rabbit. I think it was the blood when the teacher first cut into the rabbit. Kids today don't know they're born.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Another one from the school gym. Rope climbing.
God, I was useless at that.