• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The threat of Coronavirus to ECFC

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
If that happens I’ve a horrible feeling the league standings will stay as they are with only the top three teams going up and the playoffs being scrapped 😟
If that happens then the courts would be inundated with claims, Take your theory, PL&EFL say season ends now standings as they are, In the PL Norwich, Bournemouth and Villa argue we have 10 games and believe we can stay up, Going down will cost £160m at least each club, In the Championship at least 10 clubs could still go up, They won't be allowed to if standings stay the same thus them losing potentially £160m each, Even as low as L2 Stevenage could still stay up, How much would be that worth to them? No, Finishing season now with these standings, The PL & EFL would be sued for loss of potential earnings at the very least, Best thing, Season null and void, Start again in August if we're able to

Nigel E

Further down the pyramid, there are vast disparities in games played due to the weather since xmas. Even if everyone had played the same number of games, there will be arguments about who has played stronger / weaker teams. This will go right through the leagues - the 'easiest' thing is just to declare it all void.

Sorry Liverpool
Think we may have seen the last of football before the summer. If not this weekend, it's just a matter of time. And once you stop, why would you re-start before the epidemic was nearly over?

As to voiding, it really depends what it says in the rule book - if there are any provisions at all. The 1939-40 season doesn't really provide a precedent given that season was packed in after three games.

Our situation is one thing - what about Leeds and West Brom? Can't see them shrugging their shoulders at a voided season being so close to the Premier League, unless there is some cast iron provision in the rule book that they couldn't sue their way out of.

IndoMike

The easiest thing is to delay ...fans won't lose on their season tickets, the players still get paid (a loan from.the EFL could be made to the teams who need it).. Complete the season in July or August or September, then go straight on to the next season but with a months break in January
If the virus is still around in the summer we're all farked anyway. No point dilly dallying now. Shut the season down temporarily.

JayPob94

Such a terrible situation. From a business perspective for all small clubs and non league clubs.... how on Earth do we survive with no income for you’d presume a few months?
I hope the club and many others have a loss of income insurance, or something similar... I was looking at this myself but it’s more for the corporations on a larger scale with bigger employment.

I am due to drive down on Sunday for 9 days from Aberdeen, arguably the second safest place to be in the UK right now behind Inverness... and I’m seriously questioning what is the point??

Oldsmobile-88

The club are awaiting confirmation from the EFL if the game tomorrow is to go ahead.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
UEFA has suspended its competitions.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
The easiest thing is to delay ...fans won't lose on their season tickets, the players still get paid (a loan from.the EFL could be made to the teams who need it).. Complete the season in July or August or September, then go straight on to the next season but with a months break in January
If the virus is still around in the summer we're all farked anyway. No point dilly dallying now. Shut the season down temporarily.
Hard to do with the pyramid structure with part time players in the lower leagues only on contract to 30th April Pro contracts usually end July 1st. If it was a 2 week shut down, then yes possible to delay but all the signs are it will be more like 2 months.

Rachmaninov

Dan Roan on Twitter reporting that EFL clubs are set to announce suspension of games till at least 4th April.

Attachments

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Except that the contracts of lots of player, and staff, will conclude before July / August. That aside, there will be others with weddings etc scheduled for the close season. There’s no easy fix and, while I hope it doesn’t come to it, I think there must now be every possibility the season will be written off.

No doubt players/officials have commitments planned after this season was supposed to finish, who compensates them for that?
I know that one of them has a wedding booked which presumably will be in June as only month off and that won't be insured. All well and good saying play in the Summer but there are serious financial consequences that will occur. Realistically bin the season till August and try and play catch up - its one helluva mess as wont know which team is in which league probably until a week or so before the 20/21 season starts.