• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The threat of Coronavirus to ECFC

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
It's the hypocrisy of the eco warrior branding that annoys me. The New Lawn is probably the ground in the country that is most difficult to access without a car. And the gimmick of building a stadium out of wood doesn't hide the fact that it's not very eco-friendly to knock down a stadium that is barely a decade old and replace it with one built on green fields that is equally difficult to access by public transport.
That subject is always going to be ‘smoke & mirrors’ but i suppose it’s a start.

*Hants..Sorry for going off topic 😁😎

Grecian2K

For some strange reason every time Mr Vince is mentioned this springs to mind.
(Nice to see him interacting with the FGR supporters club in this clip though)

dontpassback

For some strange reason every time Mr Vince is mentioned this springs to mind.
(Nice to see him interacting with the FGR supporters club in this clip though)
I like the fast show,but I expect the pc brigade would ensure half the sketches were censored !

Reactions: DB9

DB9

Not sure if it has been mentioned on another thread but lifted this from the BBC Devon website page, It must have been part of an interview on a Radio Devon show as it says it from the station, Did anyone hear it?:

BBC Radio Devon

The coronavirus pandemic has cost Devon's two leading football sides more than £2m in revenue, a new survey has suggested.
Figures from Business Rescue Expert estimated Plymouth Argyle lost more than £1.5m, while the cost to Exeter City was in the region of £632,000.
Overall, the country's leading 92 clubs are estimated to have lost £305m.

Alistair20000

Not sure if it has been mentioned on another thread but lifted this from the BBC Devon website page, It must have been part of an interview on a Radio Devon show as it says it from the station, Did anyone hear it?:

BBC Radio Devon

The coronavirus pandemic has cost Devon's two leading football sides more than £2m in revenue, a new survey has suggested.
Figures from Business Rescue Expert estimated Plymouth Argyle lost more than £1.5m, while the cost to Exeter City was in the region of £632,000.
Overall, the country's leading 92 clubs are estimated to have lost £305m.
Disastrous figures. :(

sign of the chimes

Our turnover is c. £11m p.a. and the vast majority of that comes through ticket sales and matchday income. I suspect we're losing hand over fist at the moment given that we've not put season tickets on sale and given that they make up the best part of 75% of the ground capacity and probably 80% of home attendance. Given that we, like you, have an old stadium with compact stands we'd have to fear being at the bottom end of the capacity ranges quoted by the Grimsby chairman last week which was posted on here. In a complete reversal of the situation 10 or so years ago I'd say that we, like ECFC, are one of the more sustainably run clubs at the moment; but if the situation carries on then the future of the whole set up looks pretty bleak.

Alistair20000

Our turnover is c. £11m p.a. and the vast majority of that comes through ticket sales and matchday income. I suspect we're losing hand over fist at the moment given that we've not put season tickets on sale and given that they make up the best part of 75% of the ground capacity and probably 80% of home attendance. Given that we, like you, have an old stadium with compact stands we'd have to fear being at the bottom end of the capacity ranges quoted by the Grimsby chairman last week which was posted on here. In a complete reversal of the situation 10 or so years ago I'd say that we, like ECFC, are one of the more sustainably run clubs at the moment; but if the situation carries on then the future of the whole set up looks pretty bleak.
Yes, sadly I agree with your conclusions but whole industries or sectors of the economy have also been devastated too and with disastrous consequences. Many businesses are not going to survive including football clubs.

sign of the chimes

Yes, sadly I agree with your conclusions but whole industries or sectors of the economy have also been devastated too and with disastrous consequences. Many businesses are not going to survive including football clubs.
Agree wholeheartedly Alistair20000 - singling football out to remain on topic but of course the wider ramifications of this are already huge and will only increase in magnitude. I'm genuinely fearful of where this all ends up.

Banksy

Although the Premiershite will undoubtably make up their deficit fairly easily with tv monies etc , and it won’t stop them spending the usual obscene millions on transfer fees as maybe we are about to (hopefully) see with a Leeds bid for Ollie.As we well know it will be our swamp end that goes to the wall and I just can’t see how this situation can go on much longer without some club(s) or other going bust surely.

tonykellowfan

Agree wholeheartedly Alistair20000 - singling football out to remain on topic but of course the wider ramifications of this are already huge and will only increase in magnitude. I'm genuinely fearful of where this all ends up.
Football clubs will survive, just the current model will have to change. Players will get paid less and their will be fewer professional players.