• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Pitch

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
40k being spent on the pitch at the end of the season.
Certainly a big difference between 40k, 1m and 4m : the figures bandied about on Exeweb

Last edited:

LOG

Certainly a big difference between 40k, 1m and 4m : the figures bandied about on Exeweb
That's because those figures are for different amounts of work. I never said we were spending £1m (not that you've suggested i did), i just gave details of what that £1m could get us as the club have explored various possibilities and their associated costs.

IndoMike

That's because those figures are for different amounts of work. I never said we were spending £1m (not that you've suggested i did), i just gave details of what that £1m could get us as the club have explored various possibilities and their associated costs.
You're right : I wasn't suggesting you did. All info emanates from the club anyway, so I was contemplating which option they would take. If they've decided to take the 40k option, does that mean just relaying the pitch itself?

Last edited:

PeteUSA

The figure of £1m is to completely strip out the current pitch, dig down some distance, replace drainage, put in undersoil heating then build the ground back up and have one of those fancy fibre stitched (i don't know the proper name) pitches. Doing this would also mean having to improve the irrigation system and get new, lighter mowers. The work would also take about 3 months in total (including time to allow the pitch to settle and grow in) so would need to start as soon as the season finished.
I know this is a made up example Lionel; the installation of the undersoil heating was the giveaway. Seriously though, are we to take it that the undersoil drainage system that it feels like it was installed a couple of years ago - is knackered? I can understand to a reasonable extent why the pitch is somewhat buggered, but I dont see a pitch thats as bad as ours on our away travels. In any event, are we to take it that the pitch drainage isnt any good anymore?

Do we really have no recourse on the installation firm whereby they aren't beyond responsibility? I suppose the alarm bells should have started to ring when that company were called back after a couple of months because of a recurring problem. I know they dug a big hole over by the Flybe and I assume we were satisfied with the result. Now I take it that ideally we need the whole thing doing over again. I dont know how much 40k is going to buy us, but surely we shouldnt be looking at total relaying again including drainage?

Benguin

All people are doing is pointing out the costs of various levels of work.

It would appear the club has for whatever reason postponed major pitch works this summer.

However, that does not mean the previous work was shoddy, just given the level of precipitation this year it has not coped well. Perhaps if funds and /or time become available, a higher level of investment will result in a pitch more able to deal with the weather resulting in a more consistent playing surface for the team.

You can't blame the contractors or club on this. They spent what they could in the hope it would be enough but it appears it wasn't.

Let's move on and I personally think any windfall from Ampadu would be well invested partly in a higher level of pitch.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Astro turf the lot ! I got a mate out at B & Q would get us a right good deal on 5-6 rolls.

[tap]

Last edited:

malcolms

All people are doing is pointing out the costs of various levels of work.

It would appear the club has for whatever reason postponed major pitch works this summer.

However, that does not mean the previous work was shoddy, just given the level of precipitation this year it has not coped well. Perhaps if funds and /or time become available, a higher level of investment will result in a pitch more able to deal with the weather resulting in a more consistent playing surface for the team.

You can't blame the contractors or club on this. They spent what they could in the hope it would be enough but it appears it wasn't.

Let's move on and I personally think any windfall from Ampadu would be well invested partly in a higher level of pitch.
There is surely some responsibility to be shared out....Either the work needed was wrongly evaluated, or if it was evaluated correctly, then the implementation was poor.

Last edited:

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
There is surely some responsibility to be shared out....Either the work needed was wrongly evaluated, or if it was evaluated correctly, then the implementation was poor.
Or it has deteriorated in the 7 years and 9 months since the new pitch was created.

malcolms

Or it has deteriorated in the 7 years and 9 months since the new pitch was created.
But wasn't it pulled up and reworked a couple of years later?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Wasn't a settlement reached with the company that did the pitch? I had understood legal advice had been taken.