• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The National League (Conference) and non league football thread

les.gtfc

Re: The Conference thread

A massive double header for us over Christmas/New Year with away and home games v Lincoln. (Did they do these double headers when you were down here btw).

Away on Boxing Day, which unfortunately I will miss as I'm away but we sold our initial allocation of 1200 tickets, received another 400 which went too and have now been sent another 240 so we're bound to be backed by a great following. I just hope the team can do the fans proud. I'll be there in spirit on the day and I'll be home for the return on New Years Day.

Last edited:

Poultice

Very well known Exeweb poster

A massive double header for us over Christmas/New Year with away and home games v Lincoln. (Did they do these double headers when you were down here btw).
Just the one year when the Turks were in the House, our local derby for Boxing Day is now Wycombe away when Bournemouth home and away would have been far more convenient for most and a bigger money spinner.

Two big six pointers there for them and yourselves really, two wins for you boys could see the start of a late run to the playoffs and send them spiralling deeper into the Caverns of Sillach.

Grecian2K

Hate to dare say it but Poults is a bit off the mark their I'm afraid :$

As well as the Turkeys, we had the Aldersh¡t in 05-06 and the Heiffers both in 04-05 & 03-04, the latter being NOTORIOUS for our keeper James Bittner being (WRONGLY) sent off in each game. :(

And, take heart Les. As you may note, all of the clubs involved in our Conf double-headers are now happily back in the FL [y]

Merry Xmas, and an even happier Boxing and New Years Days

Poultice

Hate to dare say it but Poults is a bit off the mark their I'm afraid :$
Oh please, this ain't the NFL, anything more than a two hour drive can hardly be considered a 'local derby', the Bulls and the Sh*ts could never even get close to the Tuks let alone the Gargs

Grecian2K

Oh please, this ain't the NFL, anything more than a two hour drive can hardly be considered a 'local derby', the Bulls and the Sh*ts could never even get close to the Tuks let alone the Gargs
err unless we're dipping down to the deepest levels of abstract, theoretic pedantry here, "oh perleeze"----
A) Recheck Les's opening premise "back to back"- was "local" mentioned?
B) Even if you admit to local(est), both sides were, at the time (with the exception of the Gumps who don't count cos they'm both tiny, tinpot and right at the top of a f*cking country lane) the nearest "proper" grounds.
C) Your arbitrary 2-hour rule is a bit rich - how do you make it down here in 2hrs? Private Lear Jet??
D) Happy Xmas - you t*sser! ;)

Poultice

err unless we're dipping down to the deepest levels of abstract, theoretic pedantry here, "oh perleeze"----
A) Recheck Les's opening premise "back to back"- was "local" mentioned?
I took the word "massive" to be the more important qualifier, but if you think a "back to back" with either the Bulls or Sh*ts fits the bill then san fairy Anne.

Dog fondler.

Grecian2K

In the context of "massive" in a league situation I would claim that ANY pair of games would qualify, in the tabular, rather than purely geographic sense.

Hence, at the moment IMHO, for us Why-come is mahoosive. As, shortly, will be Cheaterfield.

***** squasher.

les.gtfc

Massive in the context that it could make or break our season. Come through these 2 games with 4 points or more and then we are still in with a sniff of the play-offs, anything less will condemn us to another season in this cesspit. Local rivalry is there too obviously and no doubt the "proper nawty fans" of both teams will rear their ugly heads again.

plain capers

C) Your arbitrary 2-hour rule is a bit rich - how do you make it down here in 2hrs? Private Lear Jet??
That's an easy one, ******** doesn't do home matches, only those within the M25 circle

Grecian2K

that's an easy one, ******** doesn't do home matches, only those within the m25 circle
plastic!!! ;)