• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The National League (Conference) and non league football thread

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Article about the original football fanzine When Saturday Comes (WSC) in a bit of financial trouble unfortunately.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Interesting from Ossett United

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
The message there is loud and clear.

Clubs. Check your insurance policies. Check them today.

Oldsmobile-88

34 penalties in the Southern League Cup shoot out between Taunton & Truro at Wordsworth Drive last night.
The game finished 2-2. Taunton won on pens 12-11.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
C'mon Maldon and Tiptree send them back over the border with nothing !

Legohead

Banned
The fortunes of Wrexham is an interesting story. They are fan owned and run like ourselves I believe and have decent crowds for the league they are in yet they have been struggling for the past few years. They are currently 5 points adrift at the bottom of the league although they are winning at Eastleigh this evening.

There are clubs like Wrexham and Chester who became fan owned but struggled but in contrast their are clubs like us and Wycombe who have done well under the same model. Is it as simple as repeatedly poor players and poor managers that has solely contributed to the decline of both Wrexham and Chester or have they got big problems behind the scenes anyone know?

Oldsmobile-88

Wrexhams problems started a few years ago when the then owner tried to sell the ground(prime real estate near the centre of the town)for development purposes to feather his own nest.
There was righty uproar among supporters &
the relationship was poisoned.
The Racecourse Ground is a famous old stadium & hosted many Wales internationals until the 1990s.
They have since had a new grandstand built on the Turf Hotel side.Which is pretty impressive.
One of my favourites to visit.I don’t think I will be visiting any time soon unfortunately.

DB9

The Conference is a graveyard of former league clubs and getting relegated to it clubs are finding it harder and harder to get back into the league, Most teams now are full time and some decent quality players there, Shudder to think if we ended up back there it'll take more than the five years to return I reckon

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
The Conference is a graveyard of former league clubs and getting relegated to it clubs are finding it harder and harder to get back into the league, Most teams now are full time and some decent quality players there, Shudder to think if we ended up back there it'll take more than the five years to return I reckon
Tranmere lost a million and a half pounds in the season they were promoted from the Conference; it does make you wonder where they would be now if they had lost that play-off final to Borehamwood.

DB9

Tranmere lost a million and a half pounds in the season they were promoted from the Conference; it does make you wonder where they would be now if they had lost that play-off final to Borehamwood.
Or us if we lost against Cambridge!