• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The National League (Conference) and non league football thread

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Good luck to Bath City who are away to Braintree in the first play off game in the NLS.
Lost 1-0 after extra time.

DB9

Solihull Moors beat FC Halifax Town 4-2 in the first of the NL play-offs.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Solihull Moors beat Barnet in the first semi final. Bromley play Altrincham tomorrow so we'll be getting a new team in the EFL.

haka

Come on Altrincham!

They've been shafted more than once, in farcical circumstances, and nearly half a century is a long long wait ...

That 1980s Sports Blog: 1980: Altrincham suffer voting pain

"Rochdale pulled off the great escape, their 26 votes pipping Altrincham by just one. However, it had been discovered that two clubs did not vote, with many speculating that the missing representatives would have guaranteed Altrincham a place in the Football League.

Luton Town chairman Denis Mortimer explained his absence. "We were delayed by traffic. I can't say who we would have voted for - that wouldn't be fair." At first, the identity of the other club involved was not revealed. But eventually, Grimsby Town were named as the guilty party.

Legend has it that the Grimsby chairman stood in the wrong part of the Cafe Royale, and therefore did not cast his vote. Yet an Andy Mitten article in Four Four Two magazine (November 2004) contained an allegation from Altrincham midfielder Graham Heathcote that the man involved had enjoyed one too many beverages and fallen asleep."

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The final table for Tiverton's league

Rosencrantz

I would think it has been one of the most difficult seasons for a lot of our local clubs with so many postponements so deep into the season. After securing safety at what must have been a very tense draw at Beaconsfield yesterday, Lee Hobbs has resigned from Plymouth Parkway after a number of years and promotions.

As for Tivvy, a season of change with a lot of behind the scenes going on at committee level through the summer which was only settled by some old faces coming back in the autumn by which time they had probably the weakest and thinnest squad I can remember. Scott Rogers left for WSM and Martyn Rogers resigned shortly after. He will always be a Tivvy legend but I should imagine that will be it now for Dodge as far as managing is concerned there.

Leigh Robinson came in with Ben Gerring and they had a really tough job on their hands to keep Tivvy up. The key turned out to be the loan signing of Joe Parker from Gloucester in January to solve their lack of a striker problem. Joe's goals have been crucial to them, along with the improved impact of Jack Rice-Letherby. For me personally they did a great job of actually turning Tivvy into a likeable side to watch after quite a few seasons. It will be interesting to see how the summer goes and what they have available to build on a paper thin squad, even by Southern League standards.

denzel

Some consolation for Taunton getting the Tivvy Derby back

denzel

Come on Altrincham!

They've been shafted more than once, in farcical circumstances, and nearly half a century is a long long wait ...

That 1980s Sports Blog: 1980: Altrincham suffer voting pain

"Rochdale pulled off the great escape, their 26 votes pipping Altrincham by just one. However, it had been discovered that two clubs did not vote, with many speculating that the missing representatives would have guaranteed Altrincham a place in the Football League.

Luton Town chairman Denis Mortimer explained his absence. "We were delayed by traffic. I can't say who we would have voted for - that wouldn't be fair." At first, the identity of the other club involved was not revealed. But eventually, Grimsby Town were named as the guilty party.

Legend has it that the Grimsby chairman stood in the wrong part of the Cafe Royale, and therefore did not cast his vote. Yet an Andy Mitten article in Four Four Two magazine (November 2004) contained an allegation from Altrincham midfielder Graham Heathcote that the man involved had enjoyed one too many beverages and fallen asleep."
I get the feeling that Alty (like Woking) are a side quite happy being a premier non league side, and might feel a bit lost if they go up, a bit like Sutton did.
Bromley of course would have to rip up their plastic, so not sure they would like that either.
It will be an interesting few weeks.

Colesman Ballz

I get the feeling that Alty (like Woking) are a side quite happy being a premier non league side, and might feel a bit lost if they go up, a bit like Sutton did.
Bromley of course would have to rip up their plastic, so not sure they would like that either.
It will be an interesting few weeks.
One wonders how long it would take back in Non League for Sutton to begin thinking about ripping up their turf pitch again ? :cool:

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Quite the turnaround for Bromley with 3 goals in 9 minutes to lead Altrincham 3-1.