• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The half a million pound question

I'm honestly worried that we will be taking on too much with this, although it would be great to do it in theory. We can't even sort out the tannoy at the Park, and there are other issues, too. To sustain a Cat 2 academy will require a high degree of professionalism, which we do not currently exhibit. In my opinion we need to establish ourselves as a Div 1 club (which I agree might never happen) and then start diverting funds to improving the academy. But, in the end, we can't be sure what route will be best.
See I agree with a lot of what you are saying about the tannoy and other issues but to honest the one side of the club that appears to be run with a high degree of professionalism is the Academy which is why I would personally trust them more with additional funds than I would other parts of the business/club. :)

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think you're right, but as it grows i just wonder if we can handle it practically and financially.

SDRighton

We just got a latest gen pitch at Sliema Wanderers for €250k... Coconut shavings and everything. £500k? I think someone's doing us over.

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
The manager even made the trip to Belgium to view and review the new cork infill style pitches that are being laid partly due to the refuted but alleged carcinogenic in rubber crumb pitches.

http://mobile.exetercityfc.co.uk//news/article/news-from-the-park-training-ground-renovations-3138649.aspx

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
i guess the two factors will be the cost of the two different types of pitches, and when/if the authorities will be able to decide whether there are problems with the rubber crumb. Obvious statement, but for spending that amount of cash we need to ensure it isn't spent on something that has health implications.

malcolms

We just got a latest gen pitch at Sliema Wanderers for €250k... Coconut shavings and everything. £500k? I think someone's doing us over.
Bearing in mind the ongoing problems with the pitch at SJP you wouldn't be surprised, would you?